Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opening and closing threads
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Opening and closing threads Post 302100995 by Perderabo on Tuesday 26th of December 2006 06:05:46 PM
Old 12-26-2006
I don't think that closing threads en masse is a great idea. Even if a question has been answered, there there may be better solutions and it is quite useful to post those. Or a prosposed solution may look good at first glance, but has problems of its own. There are a lot of good reasons to continue a discusssion even though an apparent answer has been found. And consider the thread you linked... I do not feel that splitting that thread into 10 or 20 threads would improve the forum.

But I don't allow myself to feel trapped in a thread. When I feel that further discussion is pointless, I just move on. I do not feel compelled to answer a second question in a thread just because I answered an earlier question. This attitude provides most of the benefits that would come from actually closing a thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Requests for Opening/Closing Threads

Please send an email to the administrator(s) of the board with thead ID and forum for any thread that is closed that you want open (or open that you want closed). All requested considered. Our apologies if sometimes threads are closed early. If this happens, please email :) Nobody is perfect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Closing out ports???

Hi all Is there a command that I can use to close out open ports? I did a netstat - a -p and got a long list of ports open (see sample below). I have disabled the some of the applications from /etc/services/. But there are still applications listening on certain ports. I need to know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing a thread

hi, Just wondering if there could be a way to close threads whose creator has got the desired reply. however if someone still wants to give a remark or suggest further on the thread one can still do so. Besides on the control panel there should be some kind of selection criteria to view... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding opening and closing braces

I am reading a cpp file thru shell script . There are many fuctions inside the cpp file eg pvvd_fncn_name1 { ..... something } pvvd_fncn_name2 { ..... something } what I require is a method to find the first opening brace and the coresponding last brace and search... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Opening and Closing Shares via ssh

Might anyone have an idea on how to mount an xserve share via ssh, then close the share connection? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Closing the socket

Hi, I have a question on closing the listen socket in server. In the application I am working, the server is continously receiving requests from the client in its master socket to handle each request. There is an option to shutdown the server process. In this case do I need to explicitly close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naan
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread Closing

Not sure as to How to close a thread so people understand that the issue was solved and the issue is not just sitting in limbo still waiting for a resolution. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Script opening and closing a program

REALLY new to this stuff, sorry. So I want a shell script to open a program, wait 45 minutes, close it, and then do it all again. I want to do this because I am running an iMacros Script for a long period of time and if Firefox is not constantly restarted, memory leaks start to happen. Anyway... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plsbbg
6 Replies
postwait(2)							System Calls Manual						       postwait(2)

NAME
postwait: pw_getukid(), pw_wait(), pw_post(), pw_postv(), pw_getvmax() - lightweight synchronization mechanism SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
Postwait is a fast, lightweight sleep/wakeup mechanism that can be used for synchronization by cooperating kernel threads within a single process or between separate processes. A thread calls to block. It resumes execution when it is posted by another thread, the call expires, or is signaled. If one or more posts are already pending, returns immediately. Threads using postwait are identified by their ukid. A thread retrieves its ukid by calling It shares this ukid with anyone it chooses by any means it considers appropriate (for example, shared memory). is called with a timeout ts. If ts is NULL, the thread will not timeout. It will remain blocked until posted or a signal wakes it up. If ts points to a zero-valued timespec, will return immediately with a value (and indicating whether or not it was posted. If ts points to a timespec whose value is greater than zero, the thread will block for that amount of time unless it is posted or inter- rupted by a signal, in which case the timespec pointed to by ts is updated with the remaining time. The return value and are set to indi- cate the reason the call returned. is used to post many threads with a single call. It posts to all threads in the targets array. An value for each target is returned in the errors array. (0 indicates success.) If the errors pointer is zero, no target-specific errors are copied out. There is a maximum number of threads that can be posted with a single call. This value is returned by Posts sent to a kernel thread that already has a post pending against it are discarded. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if it succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if posted, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if the post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if every post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns the maximum number of kernel threads that can be posted with a single call to ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if it fails: ukid points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. sets to one of the following values if it fails: was called with a timeout of 0 but the caller has no post(s) pending. was called with a timeout that expired. ts points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. was interrupted by a signal. The timespec pointed to by ts is invalid. sets to one of the following values if it fails: The ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. sets to one of the following values if it fails: targets points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. errors points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. count is less than 0. count exceeds the maximum value (as returned by A ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. postwait(2)