Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Meaning of "> /dev/null 2>&1" Post 302100936 by aju_kup on Tuesday 26th of December 2006 01:33:25 AM
Old 12-26-2006
it depends upon your requirement. if you want both error message and script output to be in same file then you can use it.

As you told that your script will be generating the Sql script then don't use the it. if you this then your sql script will have error message also, if any.

------------------
Ajay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of $var->{"@$row[0]"}=" "; ???

while (my $row = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref) { $var->{"@$row"}=" "; } Can anyone help me understanding above mentioned. i) As per my knowledge $row is taking ARRAY Refernce from the database ii) @$row is containing the value of 0th index of the array, testted the same. but I am not able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaigs_27
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ">/dev/null 2>&1" and "2>&1 >/dev/null"

Does >/dev/null 2>&1 and 2>&1 >/dev/null mean the same? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "b" modifier in "sort" command

I need to sort the following file by the rhdiskpower devices in the last column: Total_MB Free_MB OS_MB Name Failgroup Library Label UDID Product Redund Path 1024 851 1024 OCRVOT1_0000 OCRVOT1_0000 System UNKNOWN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of 2>/dev/null/ <<EOF ?

I am new to unix and learning. Came across this statement cmd 2>/dev/null/ <<EOF 2>/dev/null/ denotes that std error is stored in /dev/null but that is considered as a non-existent file!! What does << EOF mean and how does it affect? I am really confused.. :wall: Can some one explain this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: source
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find error?? find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null

why is this giving me errors? i type this in: find / -name "something.txt" 2>/dev/null i get the following error messages: find: bad option 2 find: path-list predicate-list :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magiling
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)