Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What is your favorite Linux distro? Post 302100897 by MickZA on Sunday 24th of December 2006 05:06:01 AM
Old 12-24-2006
Redhat / Fedora - simply because I got involved with Linux with Redhat 5 when SCO decided to start charging for their OS on a user licence basis. When RH8 was released I bit the bullet and moved my clients servers over and have never looked back. I now have a mix of RHE and Fedora 3 thru 5 out there and a client base that is rapidly moving to Linux on the desktop as well.

I should add that another local S/W shop went with SUSE at about the same time and are as happy with their decision as I am with mine.

So different strokes for different folks and we seem to stick with what we are familiar with.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

7. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
PPPOE-RELAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    PPPOE-RELAY(8)

NAME
pppoe-relay - user-space PPPoE relay agent. SYNOPSIS
pppoe-relay [options] DESCRIPTION
pppoe-relay is a user-space relay agent for PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) for Linux. pppoe-relay works in concert with the pppoe client and pppoe-server server. See the OPERATION section later in this manual for details on how pppoe-relay works. OPTIONS
-S interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Only PPPoE servers may be connected to this interface. -C interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Only PPPoE clients may be connected to this interface. -B interface Adds the Ethernet interface interface to the list of interfaces managed by pppoe-relay. Both PPPoE clients and servers may be con- nected to this interface. -n num Allows at most num concurrent PPPoE sessions. If not specified, the default is 5000. num can range from 1 to 65534. -i timeout Specifies the session idle timeout. If both peers in a session are idle for more than timeout seconds, the session is terminated. If timeout is specified as zero, sessions will never be terminated because of idleness. Note that the idle-session expiry routine is never run more frequently than every 30 seconds, so the timeout is approximate. The default value for timeout is 600 seconds (10 minutes.) -F The -F option causes pppoe-relay not to fork into the background; instead, it remains in the foreground. -h The -h option prints a brief usage message and exits. OPERATION
pppoe-relay listens for incoming PPPoE PADI frames on all interfaces specified with -B or -C options. When a PADI frame appears, pppoe- relay adds a Relay-Session-ID tag and broadcasts the PADI on all interfaces specified with -B or -S options (except the interface on which the frame arrived.) Any PADO frames received are relayed back to the client which sent the PADI (assuming they contain valid Relay-Session-ID tags.) Likewise, PADR frames from clients are relayed back to the matching access concentrator. When a PADS frame is received, pppoe-relay enters the two peers' MAC addresses and session-ID's into a hash table. (The session-ID seen by the access concentrator may be different from that seen by the client; pppoe-relay must renumber sessions to avoid the possibility of duplicate session-ID's.) Whenever either peer sends a session frame, pppoe-relay looks up the session entry in the hash table and relays the frame to the correct peer. When a PADT frame is received, pppoe-relay relays it to the peer and deletes the session entry from its hash table. If a client and server crash (or frames are lost), PADT frames may never be sent, and pppoe-relay's hash table can fill up with stale ses- sions. Therefore, a session-cleaning routine runs periodically, and removes old sessions from the hash table. A session is considered "old" if no traffic has been seen within timeout seconds. When a session is deleted because of a timeout, a PADT frame is sent to each peer to make certain that they are aware the session has been killed. EXAMPLE INVOCATIONS
pppoe-relay -C eth0 -S eth1 The example above relays frames between PPPoE clients on the eth0 network and PPPoE servers on the eth1 network. pppoe-relay -B eth0 -B eth1 This example is a transparent relay -- frames are relayed between any mix of clients and servers on the eth0 and eth1 networks. pppoe-relay -S eth0 -C eth1 -C eth2 -C eth3 This example relays frames between servers on the eth0 network and clients on the eth1, eth2 and eth3 networks. AUTHORS
pppoe-relay was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe-start(8), pppoe-stop(8), pppoe-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), pppoe(8), pppoe-setup(8), pppoe-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 26 January 2001 PPPOE-RELAY(8)