Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is your age? (Part 2)
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What is your age? (Part 2) Post 302100815 by cassj on Friday 22nd of December 2006 02:27:06 PM
Old 12-22-2006
Wow, jimmyc, that's some beautiful woodworking you've done!

Well, I'm 42, but I tell ppl I feel like my brain thinks I'm somewhere between 24-32. The jobs I had all involved computers, and I was "The Guy" in the office to help a user or fix a hardware problem, so I decided that is really what I enjoy doing so I made it my career choice. I'm a Apple/Macintosh person way back from the Apple ][ days, but I'm not a Mac biggot. I live and work comfortably in MacOSX, WinXP/2000, and Linuxeseses. I now work for a large global company as an in-house Mac devloper for their Graphics dept.

My hobby/addiction since 3/18/2005 is Second Life (http://secondlife.com). It's an online 3D community where everything inworld is made by the residents who live there. It has a real economy where many people make their living creating items they sell or by being virtual real estate brokers. Many Univerities (Harvard) and companies (IBM, Adidas, Reebok, Amazon) do real life training inworld. I'd love to show you around if you decide to visit. My avatar name is "Cazzj Brearly". I own 2 private islands, Enchanted & Escape.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a process age

I can write a script to use ps and interigate the output, but is there a command that works similar to the find command for files where I can request a list of all the running processes over 1 day old ? thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
8 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

What is your age?

What is your age? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: royal
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check password age

Hi Guys, I hope one of you has already done this and is kind enough to share your script with me. I have a Solaris8 server that uses password aging for its local user accounts. I need a script that checks the age of the password and then sends the user an email if the password is about to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file age

How can I count the age of the file (e.g. in minutes)? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jarmo.leppanen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify age of the file.

Hi all, I'm using SunOS. need to find age of the file in terms of seconds. The file name with its path will be given to the script as input. Any kinda help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
7 Replies

6. AIX

Visual Age C++

hi , After i installed the visual age c++ its got installed but am not able to find the bin directory in the /usr/vacpp.am i need to install the some fileset ???? please help me.version is 7 mak (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Age of file

Hi All.. Is there any easy way to find out how many days older is file? for ex. fileA 20 days fileB 10 days I am currently on AIX, and there is no STAT command available in this environment. What are my options? Thanks Abhijeet R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freakabhi
1 Replies
PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)											     PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_get_selectable_fd - get a file descriptor on which a select() can be done for a live capture SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_get_selectable_fd(pcap_t *p); DESCRIPTION
pcap_get_selectable_fd() returns, on UNIX, a file descriptor number for a file descriptor on which one can do a select() or poll() to wait for it to be possible to read packets without blocking, if such a descriptor exists, or -1, if no such descriptor exists. Some network devices opened with pcap_create() and pcap_activate(), or with pcap_open_live(), do not support select() or poll() (for example, regular network devices on FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.4, and Endace DAG devices), so -1 is returned for those devices. Note that in: FreeBSD prior to FreeBSD 4.6; NetBSD prior to NetBSD 3.0; OpenBSD prior to OpenBSD 2.4; Mac OS X prior to Mac OS X 10.7; select() and poll() do not work correctly on BPF devices; pcap_get_selectable_fd() will return a file descriptor on most of those versions (the exceptions being FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.4), but a simple select() or poll() will not indicate that the descriptor is readable until a full buffer's worth of packets is received, even if the read timeout expires before then. To work around this, an application that uses select() or poll() to wait for packets to arrive must put the pcap_t in non-blocking mode, and must arrange that the select() or poll() have a timeout less than or equal to the read timeout, and must try to read packets after that timeout expires, regardless of whether select() or poll() indicated that the file descriptor for the pcap_t is ready to be read or not. (That workaround will not work in FreeBSD 4.3 and later; however, in FreeBSD 4.6 and later, select() and poll() work correctly on BPF devices, so the workaround isn't necessary, although it does no harm.) Note also that poll() doesn't work on character special files, including BPF devices, in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5, so, while select() can be used on the descriptor returned by pcap_get_selectable_fd(), poll() cannot be used on it those versions of Mac OS X. Kqueues also don't work on that descriptor. poll(), but not kqueues, work on that descriptor in Mac OS X releases prior to 10.4; poll() and kqueues work on that descriptor in Mac OS X 10.6 and later. pcap_get_selectable_fd() is not available on Windows. RETURN VALUE
A selectable file descriptor is returned if one exists; otherwise, -1 is returned. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), select(2), poll(2) 5 April 2008 PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)