Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers perl - file reading - last line not displayed Post 302100188 by matrixmadhan on Monday 18th of December 2006 04:57:41 AM
Old 12-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkihong
Do you mean this?

Code:
while( $content = <fh> )
{
  if( $i <= 5 ) {
    push(@ch, $content);
    $i++;
  }
  else {
    $i = 1;
    foreach(@ch) {
      print "The file content is $_";
    }
    @ch = ($content);
  }
}

What would you like to do actually with your program, as I don't really understand? It seems like you may wish to buffer 5 or 6 lines of a file before output, but why do that?
Thanks for the reply.

What am trying to do is, buffer some 'n' lines, do some processing ( probably here its display) and then continue till the end.
Code:
$ch = ();

#am trying to empty the array and fill it afresh with the new set of contents from the file.

Could you please explain whats happening with.
Code:
$ch = ($content);

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each line of a file in perl script

HI I need to read each line (test.txt) and store it in a array (@test) How to do it in perl. Suppose i have a file test.txt. I have to read each line of the test.txt file and store it in a array @test. How to do it in perl. Regards Harikrishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - output not being displayed

Hi All I have the following code sub pall_nvrm { my $cmd = `pall -w "/u/ab/scripts/dev/nvrmerros/nvrmpaller"`; print $cmd; } if i run pall -w "/u/ab/scripts/dev/nvrmerros/nvrmpaller" in a shell i get this sort of out put eagley: boxted: cadle: eabost: hales: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the file line by line in Perl

Hello Everyone, I have written a perl script that will load the entire data file into an array and then I would check the value of the specific column and then if interested I will write to a good file else I will write it to a bad file. But here, the problem is that if the data file is a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file line by line and print required lines based on pattern

Hi All, i want to write a shell script read below file line by line and want to exclude the lines which contains empty value for MOUNTPOINT field. i am using centos 7 Operating system. want to read below file. # cat /tmp/d5 NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
4 Replies
Gtk2::PageSetup(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Gtk2::PageSetup(3)

NAME
Gtk2::PageSetup HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::PageSetup METHODS
pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_bottom_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_bottom_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_left_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_left_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->load_file ($file_name) o $file_name (string) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 $setup->load_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 pageorientation = $setup->get_orientation $setup->set_orientation ($orientation) o $orientation (Gtk2::PageOrientation) double = $setup->get_page_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_page_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_paper_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_paper_size_and_default_margins ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) papersize = $setup->get_paper_size $setup->set_paper_size ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) double = $setup->get_paper_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_right_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_right_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->to_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 $setup->to_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_top_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_top_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::PageOrientation o 'portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT' o 'landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE' o 'reverse-portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_PORTRAIT' o 'reverse-landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_LANDSCAPE' enum Gtk2::Unit o 'pixel' / 'GTK_UNIT_PIXEL' o 'points' / 'GTK_UNIT_POINTS' o 'inch' / 'GTK_UNIT_INCH' o 'mm' / 'GTK_UNIT_MM' SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2008 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Gtk2::PageSetup(3)