Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple LAN Interfaces
Operating Systems AIX Multiple LAN Interfaces Post 302100047 by kapilraj on Friday 15th of December 2006 02:47:51 PM
Old 12-15-2006
Routes are not defined for a NIC but for a destonatin network.
Thus you can have multiple routing table entries for diffrent networks.

i.,e. on my machine , I have a default route goes through my frontend network. And then a summary route for one of the Class C network which gets me to the NAS and other devices. and then some other routes for the management networks. I have 3 ethernet cards with diffrent ip address in them.

Regds,

Kaps

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Multiple Interfaces and Routes

I have a Unix box with 2 network interfaces on the same IP subnet and would like to add a host route via a specific interface. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diemos
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple interfaces with apache?

I'm having some problems here, and was wondering whether it was an Apache problem. We have two firewalls where I'm at, Apache is installed on the second one. The first firewall is setup to forward all outside requests to port 80 on the second firewall. Apache is only working on the lan, not the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cerberusofhnsg
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

DHCPD, Multiple interfaces, Single Subnet

I have an OpenBSD 3.7 firewall with five network interfaces on it, one of which is connected to the Internet. I'd like to use the remaining four interfaces as a network switch for a single internal subnet. The main problem I have is that the DHCP daemon doesn't like multiple interfaces matching... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to configure private LAN and coporate LAN on the same machine-Solaris10

Hi , I am trying to configure a private LAN and corporate LAN on the same machien on Solaris 10. How can I achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deedee
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Adding multiple virtual interfaces on a non global zone.

Hello All, I have a requirement to add multiple virtual interfaces on a non-global zone (Solaris 10). The global zone is a 2 node Veritas Cluster Server. So, my question is do we have to make any modifications to the cluster config (which I think should not be the case)? Can anyone help with me... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
11 Replies

6. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network

Hello, I have a machine with Solaris 8, and it has multiple interfaces that are connected to the same network which means they all have metric 0 (1 hop) to the default gateway. assume: * e1000g0: 10.1.1.70 * e1000g2: 10.1.1.72 * e1000g4: 10.1.1.74 * e1000g5: 10.1.1.76 * gateway:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeg
11 Replies

8. AIX

Problem with multiple network interfaces

Hi .. we have two AIX 5.3 systems with a small client server app communicating over a TCP socket. Box A has a single network interface where the server app (in Java) opens a well known port and waits for connections from Box B. Box B has two network interfaces, X and Y. Interface X has the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RonBowater
4 Replies
NETWORKS(5)						    Linux System Administration 					       NETWORKS(5)

NAME
networks - network name information DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/networks is a plain ASCII file that describes known DARPA networks and symbolic names for these networks. Each line repre- sents a network and has the following structure: name number aliases ... where the fields are delimited by spaces or tabs. Empty lines are ignored. The hash character (#) indicates the start of a comment: this character, and the remaining characters up to the end of the current line, are ignored by library functions that process the file. The field descriptions are: name The symbolic name for the network. Network names can contain any printable characters except white-space characters or the comment character. number The official number for this network in numbers-and-dots notation (see inet(3)). The trailing ".0" (for the host component of the network address) may be omitted. aliases Optional aliases for the network. This file is read by the route(8) and netstat(8) utilities. Only Class A, B or C networks are supported, partitioned networks (i.e., net- work/26 or network/28) are not supported by this facility. FILES
/etc/networks The networks definition file. SEE ALSO
getnetbyaddr(3), getnetbyname(3), getnetent(3), netstat(8), route(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
/Linux 2008-09-04 NETWORKS(5)