Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: POSIX threads
Top Forums Programming POSIX threads Post 302099999 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of December 2006 09:24:27 AM
Old 12-15-2006
Are you asking if you create two threads, can they modify the same memory?
Yes.
You prevent that by:
1. keeping almost all the variables they change declared local to the function. That way they cannot hurt anybody else's data.
2. For shared data, set up a mutex, so that only one function is able to change shared data at one time.

In your case, if you pass a reference to int and char to both functions, then you have a problem.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Posix queues

Hi! Everybody%) I got a question like this: Does my FreeBSD5.1 support Posix queues. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamazi
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read POSIX?

how to read POSIX? poe six or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. Programming

Posix

HI, When i am configuring php in SUN Solaris. I am getting the below error. configure: error: Your system seems to lack POSIX threads. Do i need to install POSIX? If so can somebody let me know where can i download POSIX for Solaris 8? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

5. Programming

POSIX threads and data safety

I created multiple POSIX threads (on readhat Linux) in a C program in my app. What I am doing is - I am creating threads equal to the number of CPUs in the system and and equal number of instances of a certain data structure, basically a queue implementation. I am assigning one ID to the thread... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Posix threads

Hi, consider the code below: #include <stdio.h> . . struct myStruct { char *message ; int id; }; . . . void *thread_function( void *ptr ); nt main() { pthread_t thread1, thread2 ,thread3 ; struct myStruct nico1; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behnaz
2 Replies

7. Programming

need help with posix threads

Hi, I am new to posix threads. The no of threads to be created depends on the runtime. If I get the number of threads, I need to forward declare pthread_t mythread; how to do that can I use pointers and use malloc()?? I also have another question. The pthread_join is used to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brett01
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linkage of POSIX threads function calls

I wonder if someone knows what is the rationale behind linking function calls of the POSIX threads library at link-time vs. run-time. For example, if I create the following program: #include <pthread.h> void noop() { return; } int main() { pthread_self(); pthread_atfork(noop,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsimsa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change value for POSIX

Hi, I have a VM with following configration . 3.10.0-693.1.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 3 08:15:31 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux My current POSIX is :-- Your environment variables take up 2011 bytes POSIX upper limit on argument length (this system): 2093093 POSIX smallest... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhayman
15 Replies
pthread_mutex_init(3T)													    pthread_mutex_init(3T)

NAME
pthread_mutex_init(), pthread_mutex_destroy() - initialize or destroy a mutex SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
mutex Pointer to the mutex to be initialized or destroyed. attr Pointer to the attributes object that defines the characteristics of the mutex to be initialized. If the pointer is NULL, default attributes are used. DESCRIPTION
The function initializes the mutex referenced by mutex with the attributes attr. If the parameter attr is NULL, the default mutex attributes are used. See pthread_mutexattr_init(3T) for a list of default mutex attributes. After successful initialization, the mutex is initialized, unlocked, and ready to be used in mutex operations. A mutex should be initialized only once or the resulting behavior is undefined. The function provides a way to ensure that a mutex is initialized only once. The macro can be used to initialize mutexes that are statically allocated. These mutexes will be initialized with default attributes. The function does not need to be called for statically initialized mutexes. If the process-shared attribute in the mutex attributes object referenced by attr is defined as the mutex must be allocated such that the processes sharing the mutex have access to it. This may be done through the memory-mapping functions (see mmap(2)) or the shared memory functions (see shmget(2)). The function destroys the mutex referenced by mutex. This function may set mutex to an invalid value. The destroyed mutex can be reini- tialized using the function If the mutex is used after destruction in any mutex call, the resulting behavior is undefined. A mutex should be destroyed only when it is unlocked. Destroying a mutex that is currently being used results in undefined behavior. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the function returns the corresponding error number: The necessary resources (other than memory) to initialize mutex were not available. mutex is an already initialized mutex. However, getting for reinitializing the mutex cannot be expected all the time since the behavior of reinitializing the mutex is undefined. mutex points to an illegal address. The value specified by mutex or attr is invalid. There is insufficient memory available in which to initialize mutex. The caller does not have the necessary permission to perform the mutex initialization. If any of the following occur, the function returns the corresponding error number: mutex is currently locked or in use by another thread. mutex is not a valid mutex. WARNINGS
The space for the mutex must be allocated before calling Undefined behavior will result if the process-shared attribute of attr is and the space allocated for the mutex is not accessible to cooperating threads. AUTHOR
and were derived from the IEEE POSIX P1003.1c standard. SEE ALSO
pthread_mutex_lock(3T), pthread_mutex_trylock(3T), pthread_mutex_unlock(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_mutex_init(3T)