Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lofs
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Lofs Post 302099896 by Sowser on Thursday 14th of December 2006 02:08:46 PM
Old 12-14-2006
Lofs

Does anyone use lofs (loopback file systems)? I'm not looking for any deep details, but are there actually any advantages to using lofs? If anyone knows, what are the basic advantages?

Thanks.
-S

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lofs

Hi gang! I've just tried to build a Loopback FS, and I used the option "ro" not knowing what it was meaning, as in the example I have for this feature... mount -F lofs -o ro /my_rep /my_image_rep and of course now I'm stuck with my LOFS which is read-only... not really what I want to have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lomic
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

auto mount lofs

Hi All, I want to mount one directory to other. i.e /export/home/dju to /dju It's like a link ( link -s ). but I don't want to use this( link method ) . I try to use : mount -F lofs /export/home/dju /dju the question is, how do I use this mount method with automount ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdjuarsa
1 Replies

3. Solaris

lofs

hi all, I was going through the /lib/svc/methods/fs-root file and found this command /usr/sbin/mount -O -F lofs $MOE /lib/libc.so.1 can anyone please explain to me what it does. i know what lofs does what lib.so.1 and what mount is , but am not able to interpret it as its written in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Solaris

lofs

Hi all, I am unable to comprehend these instructions. please help if ; then /usr/sbin/mount -O -F lofs $MOE /lib/libc.so.1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Normal LOFS behaviour?

I've got one directory LOFS mounted on top of another (this is to help move from an older standard that we used to follow to a newer one that we will be). Something like this: bash-3.00# df -k | grep /x /dev/md/dsk/d4 77449687 88172 76587019 1% /x /x ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
1 Replies

6. Solaris

LOFS file system

Hi All, Can you please help me in understanding the lofs file system or point me towards some link which can help ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
1 Replies

7. Solaris

df error for lofs file system in local zone.

I 've a zone which is running oracle db instance. We have exported the SAN file system from the global zone as following fs: dir: /oradb special: /oradb raw not specified type: lofs options: from global zone #df -h | grep oradb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris zones - checking processes and lofs file system

Hi all, q1) If i am in a global-zone, is there any command or anyway to check if a particular process in "ps -ef" output is running in which zone ? q2) if i have created and mount a lofs filesystem/mountpoint for my non-global zone, can i say the following e.g. /dev/md/dsk/d60 /data --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies

9. Solaris

LOFS in Solaris zone, privileges

Hi all Can i check, if I have a lofs filesystem in my local zone (myzone) for - e.g. global-zone -> /db/myzone (/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 ufs) myzone-> /myzone (lofs filesystem) zonecfg -z myzone (add fs set dir=/myzone set special=/db/myzone set type=lofs )q1) If I have install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
0 Replies
lofs(7FS)							   File Systems 							 lofs(7FS)

NAME
lofs - loopback virtual file system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/mount.h> int mount (const char* dir, const char* virtual, int mflag, lofs, NULL, 0); DESCRIPTION
The loopback file system device allows new, virtual file systems to be created, which provide access to existing files using alternate pathnames. Once the virtual file system is created, other file systems can be mounted within it, without affecting the original file sys- tem. However, file systems which are subsequently mounted onto the original file system are visible to the virtual file system, unless or until the corresponding mount point in the virtual file system is covered by a file system mounted there. virtual is the mount point for the virtual file system. dir is the pathname of the existing file system. mflag specifies the mount options; the MS_DATA bit in mflag must be set. If the MS_RDONLY bit in mflag is not set, accesses to the loop back file system are the same as for the underlying file system. Otherwise, all accesses in the loopback file system will be read-only. All other mount(2) options are inherited from the underlying file systems. A loopback mount of '/' onto /tmp/newroot allows the entire file system hierarchy to appear as if it were duplicated under /tmp/newroot, including any file systems mounted from remote NFS servers. All files would then be accessible either from a pathname relative to '/' or from a pathname relative to /tmp/newroot until such time as a file system is mounted in /tmp/newroot, or any of its subdirectories. Loopback mounts of '/' can be performed in conjunction with the chroot(2) system call, to provide a complete virtual file system to a process or family of processes. Recursive traversal of loopback mount points is not allowed. After the loopback mount of /tmp/newroot, the file /tmp/newroot/tmp/newroot does not contain yet another file system hierarchy; rather, it appears just as /tmp/newroot did before the loopback mount was performed (for example, as an empty directory). Examples lofs file systems are mounted using: mount -F lofs /tmp /mnt SEE ALSO
lofiadm(1M), mount(1M), chroot(2), mount(2), sysfs(2), vfstab(4), lofi(7D) WARNINGS
Loopback mounts must be used with care; the potential for confusing users and applications is enormous. A loopback mount entry in /etc/vfstab must be placed after the mount points of both directories it depends on. This is most easily accomplished by making the loop- back mount entry the last in /etc/vfstab. SunOS 5.10 10 Apr 2001 lofs(7FS)