Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple Post 302099786 by Corona688 on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 04:55:04 PM
Old 12-13-2006
Without more details, or the code in question, I don't know.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I am taking an intro to unix class and I can not figure out how to do part of the question. I am writing script to be exictued by a program in the tutoral. Question: Write every line containing the word ``delete'' produced by ``man mail'' into a file called ``delete''. Hint: What does using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weathergirl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question

I'm new to unix commands and am wondering how you could create a page with html tags in it. echo "<b>Test</b>" > test.html doesn't work because of the tags. How would I do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger19
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

If given some output such as: "I'm having a senior moment" How do you print the last six characters to the screen? I'm thinking with awk or sed but can't remember how. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stepnkev
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ls question

i am doing ls -la in the out put , first line is as total 41621 What is this total? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

Hi, Please don't berate me over the simplicity of these questions. I have recently gotten into bash shell scripting and enjoy it quite a bit. One thing I have not found the answer to though is when naming a shell script, what extension is normally used (ie myscript.?)? Also where is the standard... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if then else question

I am having trouble making this statement work. I am passing in a number value for the number of days to keep archive logs for and wanted to make sure that it is a number. I have a script that will return 1 for is a number and 0 for is not a number. I also want to make sure that the number is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
INTRO(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  INTRO(9)

NAME
intro -- introduction to system kernel interfaces DESCRIPTION
This section contains information about the interfaces and subroutines in the kernel. PROTOTYPES ANSI-C AND ALL THAT Yes please. We would like all code to be fully prototyped. If your code compiles cleanly with cc -Wall we would feel happy about it. It is important to understand that this isn't a question of just shutting up cc, it is a question about avoiding the things it complains about. To put it bluntly, don't hide the problem by casting and other obfuscating practices, solve the problem. INDENTATION AND STYLE
Believe it or not, there actually exists a guide for indentation and style. It isn't generally applied though. We would appreciate if people would pay attention to it, and at least not violate it blatantly. We don't mind it too badly if you have your own style, but please make sure we can read it too. Please take time to read style(9) for more information. NAMING THINGS
Some general rules exist: 1. If a function is meant as a debugging aid in DDB, it should be enclosed in #ifdef DDB #endif /* DDB */ And the name of the procedure should start with the prefix DDB_ to clearly identify the procedure as a debugger routine. SCOPE OF SYMBOLS
It is important to carefully consider the scope of symbols in the kernel. The default is to make everything static, unless some reason requires the opposite. There are several reasons for this policy, the main one is that the kernel is one monolithic name-space, and pollution is not a good idea here either. For device drivers and other modules that don't add new internal interfaces to the kernel, the entire source should be in one file if possi- ble. That way all symbols can be made static. If for some reason a module is split over multiple source files, then try to split the module along some major fault-line and consider using the number of global symbols as your guide. The fewer the better. SEE ALSO
style(9) HISTORY
The intro section manual page appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. BSD
December 13, 1995 BSD