Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: aix nologin shell
Operating Systems AIX aix nologin shell Post 302099760 by zuessh on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 02:57:46 PM
Old 12-13-2006
Thanks for the reply, what is needed is a way for a user to be able to ftp into the server, but not telnet/ssh. I was under the understanding that if I set the 'user can login remotely' to false, they would not be able to ftp in. If this is incorrect or if you know of another way to set this up, please let me know. thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

2. Solaris

nologin shell on Solaris?

I'm setting up a Solaris 10 box to run Lawson application, which needs users to have Unix acounts, but the users will not be using interactive shell. To make it more secure, I'd rather not give them a valid shell. I know there's a trick by putting /noshell in the /etc/passwd file, but the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
2 Replies

3. Programming

Porting of Shell to AIX

Hi All, I would like to know of the steps needed for the implementation of a shell in AIX. This shell is written by one of our developers and is currently running in Solaris. This needs to be ported to AIX. Does any of you guys know the implementation steps to do this. If so please do let me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script on AIX

Hi! I have made a simple script for writing the following line on a file (file.txt): list= 1 2 3 and thr script looks like this: N=3 ll=(1 2 3) echo -n "list= ">> file.txt j=0 while ; do echo -n ${ll}" ">> file.txt let j++ done The code works fine on Linux,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl.alv
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and Secure Shell

I just installed 5.3 TL0 on a B50 server. I need to get ssh installed. I tried the links at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix] I downloaded openssh_5.2p1_aix53.tar and openssh-4.5_srcpatch.tar. The installation failed. The notes say that this was compiled for TL 8, and mine is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geekasaurus
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding user with nologin

Hi, Need one clarification.. If suppose, I have disabled the login to a particular user XXX, but not deleted the user. So the scripts which must be executed using the user XXX can still be executed using that user or is it not possible..? In our tasks, we are disabling the user XXX, and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH with a nologin account

Is it possible to SSH with an account that has its shell set to /sbin/nologin? The reason I ask is because I am running an instance of nagios where I need to use SSH keys to run a check, but I am getting connect errors in Nagios. Also, what is the risk I run into if I just simply change my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script in AIX

Hi , Good Morning every one !!! I am very new to this forum and new to Shell Script as well , hope some script Guru's will help me . I have a requirment to write a shell script . The requirment is like this . There are couple of shell scripts scheduled in the Crontab (some scripts run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dilipd21
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System shell nologin script required

Hi Part of our security audit we found that following system account's had shells configured; sync halt shutdown I believe this can be achieved by following commands: chsh -s /sbin/nologin (user) usermod -s /sbin/nologin (user) However, I would like simple script to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gamma
5 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc, .netrc -- user configuration for ftp DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)