Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitoring Unix systems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Monitoring Unix systems Post 302099690 by rhfrommn on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 11:14:55 AM
Old 12-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen4ik
There is very strange thing, apparently that nobody don't need to monitoring unix system in high degree...
Are you kidding?

Unix monitoring tools are far more advanced and powerful than anything available for Windows. It's just that your Windows-centered requirements are not met since Unix apps won't be written to exactly copy what you see in Windows.

Where I work now we have over 4000 Unix servers. All of them are monitored at all times and we have set up alerting to send emails, pages, or both when certain criteria are reached. We can customize the criteria based on which categories a server belongs to. For example, the same error might cause a production server to send a page, but a development box to just send email. We can control who gets the notifications the same way so each group of admins and users gets alerted for only the servers they care about. We can generate reports per server or per group of servers containing all the data you mentioned plus lots more. I would certainly consider that a "high degree" of monitoring.

As System Shock mentioned, Unix has the commands built in to do exactly what you want, if you drop the extreme restrictions. If you really need to buy a commercial product you could look at Nagios with purchased support, Tivoli, HP Openview, several products from Computer Associates, Sysedge from Concord Software, Splunk, or many other SNMP based monitoring products. All of them have sophisticated reporting features and a gui dashboard, but they won't be exactly the same as your windows monitoring apps of course.

The bottom line is if you want powerful, customizable Unix monitoring that can give you exactly the information you want you have many choices that can do it. If you expect it to also spoon-feed you reports in the specific canned format of your choice or show you a gui exactly like your windows boxes have you may be out of luck.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

eBay Unix systems

I should add a disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the sellers in any way, nor do I have any more knowledge than any other person reading the description about the item. This is simply for your reference. I see a good number of people wanting a SPARC system to play with, and even more that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

distributers of unix systems

Well i've been looking for some unix systems to download but with all the technical stuff they talk about on the sites i think that it would be betterif i just bought oneat a store so it comeswith directions and stuff, but is there any unix system that will coincidentally run with MS-dos mode? and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shag134
1 Replies

3. SCO

Sharing unix drives from two unix systems

I have two SCO openserver systems, 1 in the US and 1 in the UK. I am setting up a vpn to connect the two local networks that also have windows pc's on them. Is there a way that either unix system can see the hard drive on the other unix system so that I can share data between them. I run a cobol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rongrout
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file systems for unix

please someone give me 3 file systems for unix HP-UX version !!! thnks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: androc
2 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring file systems backup

Hello, I have some questions. There are some File systems which are located on a SAN. There are two scenarios: 1) Some file systems are permanently mounted on certain servers 2) Others are part of a high availability cluster In case of a cluster the needed file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frhling
1 Replies
PMC(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PMC(1)

NAME
pmc -- performance-monitoring counter interface for command execution SYNOPSIS
pmc -h pmc -C pmc -c event command [options ...] DESCRIPTION
pmc is a means of using a processor's performance-monitoring counter (PMC) facility to measure various aspects of a program's execution. It is meant to be used in a fashion similar to time(1). The arguments are as follows: -h Display a list of performance counter events available on the system. -C Cancel any performance counters that are currently running. -c event Count the event specified by event while running the command. DIAGNOSTICS
PMC support is not compiled into the kernel Performance-monitoring counter support has not been compiled into the kernel. It may be included using the PERFCTRS option. See options(4) for details. PMC counters are not supported by CPU Performance-monitoring counters are not available for the CPU. SEE ALSO
time(1), options(4) HISTORY
The pmc command first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. AUTHORS
The pmc command was written by Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>. The kernel support for reading performance counters on the i386 architecture was written by Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>. BUGS
The pmc command currently only supports performance-monitoring counters on the i386 architecture. BSD
October 24, 2000 BSD