Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read input file for batch job Post 302099604 by era on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 05:43:11 AM
Old 12-13-2006
UUCA page moved

Moderator: Any chance you could change the link to point to the proper location http://partmaps.org/era/unix/award.html -- you will notice that the 302 at netsonic.fi redirects to the same location (the redirector will go away, maybe soon).

There's another mention at https://www.unix.com/answers-to-frequently-asked-questions/16576-some-sites-recommended-our-users.html -- maybe you could change that too.

bhargav's answer is the best (apart from the silly chmod 777, when 755 was specifically what was asked for in the first place) if you know the list of files is smallish; otherwise, you'll bump into the ARG_MAX limit. This is also described on the Awards page.

Last edited by era; 12-13-2006 at 08:28 AM..
era

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the lines from the file in batch

Hi, I want to read lines in a loop. eg. In a file with 100 lines..first I want to read first 1 to 10 lines and redirect it to other file, then next 10 lines ( 11 to 20 ) and redirect it to the file ... .till end of file. I am not sure how to achieve this.Need help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitraorane
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

windows scripting for a batch job

I have been doing unix scripting for quite awhile and there seems to be a wealth of information on it. Now I am working on migrating an intel based application to a new server. I need to modify some existing scripts, but am having trouble finding information on windows scripting, a forum similar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding interactive ID of batch job

Hi all, We are running a batch job using Unix script. This batch job is running daily to get data from a Mainframe database and to load our tables. We are using an interactive ID for the batch job. If we removed that interactive ID, the batch job fails. What's my question is.. Is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep.edara
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Batch job to delete files from various directories

Hi, I have a shell script to find files older than 'X' days ($2) in directory path ($1) and delete them. Like this: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c 90 Now, I need to modify this script and add it in CRON, so that it checks other directories also. Like: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read input file

echo "enter employee #:/c" read employee grep -w $employee /tmp/file.txt when it asked me employee #, i typed employee, worked fine. when it asked me employee #, i type ENTER, it just sit there. if someone type in NULL or ENTER key, i want to exit out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a batch job ?

Hi In unix how to create a batch job and Is there any command to close file in unix. Please help me I am new to unix world (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay.h4
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Can a batch job truly have a PID of 1?

Is it possible for a process id of 1. Is there anything special about 1 or 8 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
7 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

To run job in parallel in batch

Hi, I am using a batch file to run 2 or more shutdown batch for each of my server like below: Shutdown_serverA.bat Shutdown_serverB.bat ... Is there anyway i can do this in parallel instead of serially:confused: ServerA & ServerB shutdown at the same time in one click (batch). (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)