Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem when passing argument to a shell script Post 302099595 by sumesh.abraham on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 04:49:27 AM
Old 12-13-2006
Problem when passing argument to a shell script

Hi all,

I'm new to Shell scripting. In my shell script for Bourne shell, the script accepts a date parameter which is optional. If the value is supplied, the supplied value should be assigned to a variable. If not, the current date will be assigned to the variable. My script is like this.

Code:
#! /bin/sh

if [ ! -z $1 ]
then
dateval=`date`
elif [ $dateval -gt date ];then
echo "Supplied date is greater than current date"
else
 dateval=$1
fi
echo $dateval

When i run the script, it says

./shellpgm30.sh: test: argument expected

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sumesh
sumesh.abraham

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Argument Passing

Greetings, I am wrapping the monitoring commands like vmstat, sar, iostat and call via arguments I want ./unix_stats.sh -v vmstat -p <SEC> -d <Duration> to give vmstat values, and similarly iostat etc.,. Also if I give ./unix_stats.sh -v vmstat -i iostat -p <SEC> -d <Duration> should give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Rod
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in argument passing

Hell all, i have a problem in argument passing. print() { a=$1 b=$2 c=$3 echo $a echo $b echo $c } x="1 2 3" y="4 5 6" z="7 8 9" print $x $y $z. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument to shell script that reads user inputs

Hi, Lets say I have a script "ss" which does this read abc echo $abc read pqr echo $pqr Now if I want to pass and argument to only "abc" how do I do it. If I do echo "somevalue" | ss, it does not prompt for pqr and its value comes out as blank. Any help is appreciated Thanks P (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patjones
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command line argument between shell's

Hi, I am facing a problem to pass command line arguments that looks like <script name> aa bb "cc" dd "ee" I want to pass all 5 elements include the " (brackets). when I print the @ARGV the " disappear. I hope I explain myself Regards, Ziv (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing directory as argument with awk

I'm trying to figure out what's getting passed as the argument when I try to pass a directory as an argument, and I'm getting incredibly strange behavior. For example, from the command line I'm typing: nawk -f ./test.awk ~ test.awk contains the following: { directory = $NF print... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrplainswalker
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command output as an argument to a shell script

Hi, I have a very small requirement where i need to pass command output as an argument while invoking the shell script.. I need to call like this sh testscript.sh ' ls -t Appl*and*abc* | head -n 1' This will list one file name as ana argument.. I will be using "$1" in the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument to a script while executing it within current shell

Hi Gurus, I have written a script set_env.ksh to which I pass an argument and set the oracle login credentials based on the argument I pass. The script has code as below. ORACLE_SID=$1 DB_SCHEMA_LOGON=$DB_SCHEMA_USER/$DB_SCHEMA_PASSWORD@$ORACLE_SID; export DB_SCHEMA_LOGON; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing either of argument, not both in shell

Hi, I have a requirement to work on script, it should take either of arguments. wrote it as below. #!/bin/bash usage() { echo "$0: missing argument OR invalid option ! Usage : $0 -m|-r|-d } while getopts mrdvh opt; do case "$opt" in m) monitor_flag=monitor;;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramanaraoeee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument from Java to Shell script

Hi All, I want to pass array of argument from Java to a shell script.I can use process builder api and its exec() method to call the script,but the question is how to receive the parameter in the script. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet_Atti
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell script passing arguments problem.

I found something insteresting when I tested passing arguments into my scripts. My scripts is as below. % cat passarg.env #!/bin/csh echo "passarg: argv = $argv argv = $argv" passarg1.env $* % cat passarg1.env #!/bin/csh echo "passarg1: argv = $argv argvp=$argv" set str = "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)