Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem with directory Post 302099401 by ravi raj kumar on Tuesday 12th of December 2006 12:51:35 AM
Old 12-12-2006
Question problem with directory

Smilie Smilie hi gurus,
I have created a directory called "Proj" in the root directory.
I then created a file called "dboper.prg" in that directory.
I have given file permissions and directory permissions .

But when executing the file dboper.prg ($ dboper.prg) from being in the proj directory,i am getting the error "command not found".

When i specify the complete path of the file then only its getting executed.
(like $ /proj/dboper.prg).

Why do i need to specify the complete path instead of just the file name to execute that file?

any help pls

cheers RRK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

home directory problem

I have solaris 9 installed across 2 disks. disk 1 / s0 swap s1 /usr s6 /var s3 /home s7 disk2 /swapfile (spare space for use with swap) s1 /opt s5 /export/home s7 When I create a new user using solaris Management... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with directory commands

Hello... I am having a slight problem when I run the basic directory command from a shell script... i used the foll code:: $ cat a pwd date cd .. all the command of the script except the " cd .. " command are working...I also tried cd <dir_path> through diff means...including giving... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Problem Removing a Directory !!!

Hi All, When i remove a directory , the following error message comes : rm: cannot determine if this is an ancestor of the current working directory Is it something to do with the permissisons ? The path is /PBAMLftp/incoming/misc/July06 - (where i need to remove the July06 directory) And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gauravsachan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory inside directory problem

hii, I have to create a directory under the same directory with the date +%a extension like this BackupLocation=$BackupLocation/$BackupLocation$(date +%w) but the problem is --- if backuplocation is abc/dfg then accroding to the above statement it would be abc/dfg/abc/dfg5 but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Creation problem

Hiiii, here is my script-- BackupLocation="$OPTARG" if ]; then echo "Either option l or L should be given to $Programname" echo "$Usage" echo "$Programname is terminated" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

6. Linux

Problem about Fedora directory permission

Problem about Fedora directory permission,can anyone help me? In fedora,I have two ordinary user named user1&user2 in different groups,when I logined user1 and created a dir named test/ in '/home/ user1/',and do 'chmod 750 test',so when 'ls -l',it appears 'drwxr- x---' for 'test',but when I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with spaces in directory path

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement. cat /usdd/Sample/"NDDF Plus DB"/"NDDF Descriptive and Pricing"/"NDDF BASICS 3.0"/"Pricing"/1.txt | sed 's/*|*/|/g' | sed 's/^*//'| sed 's/^*//; s/*$//' > temp.txt In unix prompt the above command is reading the file 1.txt and I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Restricting Directory in Apache

Hello, I want to restrict access to our Subversion repositories to only our internal network. I have a virtual host directive setup in Apache for the IP and port 443. When I put the following: <Directory "/var/www/svn/"> Order allow,deny AllowOverride None Allow from 10.5.10.0/24 Allow... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Naming of directory problem

hi all suppose in particular directory i have lots of directory supoose 201009 201010 201011 201012 now by mistake i have rename all these directory as 201009.bk 201010.bk 201011.bk 201012.bk now how can i revert the changes back pls help me regarding this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if statement, cannot get to right directory

I have several scripts , which are calling one. That script, depends of arguments, processing daily, weekly and monthly files. After process daily, I started process weekly exec ${LOCL_WORKING_DIR}/sftp_ondemand.sh /export/data/mbsesb/config/ondemand.cfg /export/data/mbsesb/config/filename.lst... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
11 Replies
chroot(2)							System Calls Manual							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot() - change root directory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
causes the named directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with path points to a path name naming a directory. The user's working directory is unaffected by the system call. The entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Thus, cannot be used to access files outside the subtree rooted at the root directory. Security Restrictions The effective user ID of the process must be a user with the privilege to change the root directory. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and the root directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following is true: Any component of the path name is not a directory. The named directory does not exist or a component of the path does not exist. The effective user ID is not a user who has the privilege. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. WARNINGS
Obsolescent Interfaces is to be obsoleted at a future date. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
TO BE OBSOLETED chroot(2)