Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers matching characters between strings Post 302099013 by arunkumar_mca on Friday 8th of December 2006 12:14:16 AM
Old 12-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygor
Or...
Code:
echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | fold -1 | sort -u > file1
echo "acefizkjlfsh" | fold -1 | sort -u | egrep -f file1 > file2
echo $(wc -l < file2) [$(paste -s -d, file2)]

...gives...
Code:
11 [a,c,e,f,h,i,j,k,l,s,z]

can anyone please explain the script . what it does .. WIll be helpfull

Thanks,
Arun.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings not matching

Hi, I have got two variables holding strings, if i echo them, they print the same value but if i compare the condition fails?? can somebody suggest something?? I have checked the word count too, they are also same. Thanks, Atul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
4 Replies

2. Programming

help with matching strings

In C programming how do i check if a char is equal to a vowel , like a e i o or u, small or big case. in my function i have the parameter like *word, and i am using word in a for loop, to check if its equal. i use tolower(word)=='a' || ..... but for some reason it only matches on lower case and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with finding matching position on strings

I have a DNA file like below and I am able to write a short program which finds/not an input motif, but I dont understand how I can include in the code to report which position the motif was found. Example I want to find the first or all "GAT" motifs and want the program to report which position... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking matching strings

I have a list of file names. However in some instances I might have a "-" at the beginning of the filename or an "=". For example I might have something like this set Lst = "file1 file2 file3 -file4 file5=" I want to pick up the ones having "-" at the beginning or "=" and store them in... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching strings from different files

I want to compare file 1 to file 2 and if a string from file 1 appears in file 2, then print the file 2 row, where the string appears, onto file3. file 1 looks like this. DOG_0004340 blah blah2 j 22424 DOG_3010311 blah blah3 o 24500 DOG_9949221 blah blah6 x 35035 file 2 looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 2 lines from 2 files having matching strings

Hello All Unix Users, I am still new to Unix, however I am eager to learn it.. I have 2 files, some lines have some matching substrings, I would like to concatenate these lines into one lines, leaving other untouched. Here below is an example for that.. File 1 (fasta file): >292183... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohamed EL Hadi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append matching strings in a file

Hi , I am writing a shell script to check pvsizes in linux box. # for i in `cat vgs1` > do > echo "########### $i ###########" > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $2,$1,$5}'>pvs_$i > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $1}'|while read a > do > fdisk -l $a|head -2|tail -1|awk '{print $2,$3}'>pvs_$i1 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching only the strings I provide - sed

Hello.. I am currently learning sed and have found myself in some trouble.. I wrote this command: sed -ne 's/*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*/\1\2/p' and some of the output i get is : ->stockholm->paris<-stockholmpi<-tokyo->paris<-stockholmpi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jozo95
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings between 2 characters

Hi I have a wired string pattern ( mongo output) which I need to convert to only values. "_id" : ObjectId("59280d9b95385c78b73252e4"), "categorySetId" : NumberLong(1100000041), "categorySetName" : "PROD GROUP", "serviceableProductFlag" : "N", "categoryId" : NumberLong(1053), "pid" :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhayman
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)