Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Veritas root disk mirroring
Operating Systems Solaris Veritas root disk mirroring Post 302098928 by Jartan on Thursday 7th of December 2006 11:18:33 AM
Old 12-07-2006
Veritas root disk mirroring

Hi there,

My task is to replace the two 73 G disks with two 143 G disks , which has vxvm 4.1 running on it. I would like to know whether the steps iam following are correct.
1. Break the sub-disks, plexes of the root mirror.
2. Remove the sub-disks,plexes of the root mirror.
3. Remove one of the hard disk(eg. c0t1d0) and replace new.
4. Initialize the new disk and create subdisks and plexes
5. Attach the subdisks and plexes to the existing volumes
6. once there's no task in vxtask, do the same for the primary root disk(c0t0d0) also.

i would like to know whether i need to de-encapsulate the root disk before i do this.and also do i need to perform these in single-user mode? and also do i need to export the disk-group before i do these?

Please correct me if iam wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris mirroring / non-root disk

Hi Guys, Need to add 2 disks into a JBOD array (3310). Does anyone see anything wrong with my Procedure / Doco below? 1> Logon to system, check system logs for abnormal entries. 2> Make backups of related system files: A>cp -p /etc/system /etc/system.backup.081505 B>cp -p /etc/vfstab... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. Solaris

mirroring root disk using svm - but no free slices for metadb's

Hi all, we have an existing system that was configured using just one of the (two) internal disks. I want to mirror the disk using SVM, but have realised there is no free slice for creating the metadb's. Is there a workaround I can use for this? In the past we have always kept slice 7 free -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Root Disk mirroring in SVM

Dear All, Please help me to configure root mirroring using SVM in Solaris 9. Thanks and Regards, Lakkireddy BR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk mismatch while trying to zfs mirroring non-root disks

Hello All, I am trying to mirror two non-root hard drives using zfs. But "fmthard" fails when I try to copy the vtoc due to disk mismatch. Please help me. --- iostat command shows the disk to be similiar --- format command shows disk to be different :confused: --- c1t2d0 is the active... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
8 Replies

5. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Root disk mirroring in SVM

I tried doing rootdisk mirroring in my local host , i added a new Ide disk in my system and copied the prtvtoc from root disk to the newly added disk, and then when i tried to add database replicas on both the disks, it was added for boot disk but for the newly added disk i gave the error, which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Root disk mirroring in Solaris 10

I would like to perform root disk mirroring task. Can someone please help me out on this. Thanks !! Regards, Rama (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramagore85
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extend a disk in veritas volume manager in veritas cluster?

Hi Experts, I wanted to extend a veritas file system which is running on veritas cluster and mounted on node2 system. #hastatus -sum -- System State Frozen A node1 running 0 A node2 running 0 -- Group State -- Group System Probed ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skmanojkum
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control?

I need to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control or root disk is encapsulated # df -k /var Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/var 13241195 12475897 674524 96% /var # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/var ufs # pkginfo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies
vxsplitlines(1M)														  vxsplitlines(1M)

NAME
vxsplitlines - show disks with conflicting configuration copies in a cluster SYNOPSIS
vxsplitlines [-g diskgroup] [-c daname] DESCRIPTION
If you import portions of a disk group on different systems, this can lead to conflicting configuration copies on the disks of the disk group. If the configuration information in a disk group is ambiguous, it may not be possible for Veritas Volume Manager to determine which config- uration copy is most up-to-date. (This is usually termed a serial split brain (SSB) condition when it occurs in a cluster.) You cannot import a disk group in this state unless you specify which disk's configuration copy to use. You can use the vxsplitlines command to see which disks in a disk group have conflicting configuration copies, and use this information together with your knowledge of the history of the disk groups' usage to determine which configuration copy is most valid. The output from vxsplitlines displays the vxdg commands that you can run to import the disk group using the available configuration copies. The -o selectcp option of the vxdg import command is used to select the configuration copy to use for the import. OPTIONS
-c daname Display the SSB IDs for each disk that are stored in the configuration copy on the disk specified by its disk access name. Note: Although the SSB IDs for some disks may match, this does not necessarily mean that those disks' configuration copies have recorded all the configuration changes. When viewed from some other configuration copies, the SSB IDs of the same disks may not match. -g diskgroup Specifies the disk group. If a disk group is not specified, the default disk group is used as determined from the rules on the vxdg(1M) manual page. EXAMPLES
Display the disks on each side of the split in the disk group newdg: vxsplitlines -g newdg Display the SSB IDs stored in the configuration copy on disk c2t4d0: vxsplitlines -g newdg -c c2t4d0 NOTES
The vxsplitlines is primarily intended to be used with private disk groups, but it also works with shared disk groups. The version number of the disk group must be 110 or greater. SEE ALSO
vxdg(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Administrator's Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxsplitlines(1M)