Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bandwidth
Special Forums IP Networking bandwidth Post 302098820 by andryk on Thursday 7th of December 2006 01:29:43 AM
Old 12-07-2006
If i were to look at definition of a one thing my first try would be wikipedia

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bandwidth check?

I'm on T1, is there any way i can check my acctual bandwidth? Thank you all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Bandwidth Caping With PF

i have two questions actually... i need to block certain ports with openbsd and PF in a large lan, the firewall is supposed to be a router between the internet and the first lan switch. first of all, would this work at all in theory? second, i tried doing this a few days ago at a huge lan but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocturnal
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Bandwidth Regulation

Hello, I was wondering how one would go about regulating bandwidth of a server running RH Linux 8.0 and Apache. I am running a webserver, and want only one person to be able to download one file at a time. So, they can't click about 10 files and soak up lots of bandwidth. Plus, I would like to cap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bandwidth Monitoring.

Hi, I'm looking for some way to bring up in a shell window a realtime (or something that updates at 10 second intervals or whatever) bandwidth monitor. I just want something that shows me how much kbps is going in and how much is going out of each interface. Is there something that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bandwidth monitoring

Hi Gurus, Need to have a way to monitor Bandwidth utilization on Linux servers, running squid . Have worked on 3rd party monitoring tools like Bandwidth d, Nagios etc. But we are working to find out a way to monitor this through Sitescope, for which we need to find a file where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

Bandwidth montor

Hi all I have been running iptraf on a linux box for a few months monitoring bandwidth utilization realtime from mac address with port mirroring. Now I want to graph these bandwidth utilization. Is MRTG the right software? Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palm101
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Variables for Bandwidth control

Hi, I am very new to scripting and have a question regarding variables and their use in a bandwidth monitoring script. I have identified a few primary variables being; Bandwidth CIR Download=32kbits <- these match as per the script below Bandwidth PIR Download=96kbits Bandwidth CIR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinnir
1 Replies

8. Programming

Bandwidth monitoring using python

I wish to develop an application to monitor the network traffic of my system. I wish to know which computer networked to me is using most of the bandwidth. I know the basics of python but do not know how to start the work.. please suggest some good methods to follow. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderhs
7 Replies

9. IP Networking

New network bandwidth requirements

Many papers, articles and posts about network bandwidth requirements refer to network traffic rules-of-thumb when estimating bandwidth requirements for a new network with an unknown load. I've seen a couple rules for video and VoIP. I'd be thankful if someone could share any rules-of thumb they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redrider
5 Replies
JNOISEMETER(1)						      General Commands Manual						    JNOISEMETER(1)

NAME
jnoisemeter - Jnoisemeter is a small app which measure audio test signals. SYNOPSIS
jnoisemeter [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the jnoisemeter This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. jnoisemeter is a small app designed to measure audio test signals and in particular noise signals through Jack Audio Connection Kit. The simplest use is to measure the S/N ratio of your sound card. If you can calibrate the input levels of your soundcard it can also be used (with some external hardware) to measure noise levels of any type of audio equipment, including preamps and microphones. jnoisemeter has the following filters: FLAT No filtering at all, the signal is passed directly to the detector. 20KHZ This is 4th order Chebyshev lowpass filter having a noise bandwidth of exactly 20 kHz. This means that if the input signal is white noise, the RMS output level is the same as for a 'perfect' 20 kHz lowpass filter. This is the normal filter to use for 'unweighted' measurements, as any noise measurement should always use a well-defined bandwidth. Future version may use a higher order filter. IEC A and C The well-known standard noise weighting filters used to obtain dB(A) and dB(C) measurements. ITU-R468 This is a filter optimised for measuring low-level background noise. It rises 6 dB/oct at low frequencies, has a peak of around +12 dB at 6.3 kHz, and falls off radiply after that. It should be used together with the ITU-R468 detector described below. ITU-R468 (Dolby variant) This is the same filter as the previous one with around 5.6 dB less gain. See below for why this exists. jnoisemeter also provides a DC blocking filter (first order highpass, 5 Hz). This may be necessary when using the FLAT and 20KHZ filters, the others are DC-blocking anyway. jnoisemeter has three detectors: RMS Root-mean-square (i.e. 'power') meter. The time constant is 125 ms as per IEC standard, or 1 second in slow mode. AVERAGE This measures the average of the absolute value. The one used in jnoisemeter is actually a VU meter. A 10 times slower version is also provided. ITU-R468 This is a 'pseudo-peak' detector designed specifically to measure noise and S/N ratios. For a peak meter it is quite slow, as it should be for noise measurements, but at the same time it is much more sensitive to short impulsive noise than its speed would suggest. The original rationale for this was the presence of impulsive noise (generated by the electromechanical telephone exchanges of those days) on long analog audio lines. Today long distance audio lines are all digital, but a detector such as this one is also ideal to reveal the typical short noise bursts and 'crackle' originating in computers and other digital equipment. All three detectors will show 0.0 dB for a 'digital full scale' sine wave (i.e. peaking +/- 1.0). The ITU-R468 standard This uses both the ITU filter and detector, and is probably the 'best' standardized way to measure noise. It is used by e.g. the manufac- turers of quality microphones, in particular the European ones. It produces a result that is on average about 10 dB higher than an A- weighted RMS measurement. There is a 'variation' of this standard called 'ITU-ARM'. This was devised by Dolby Inc. at the time they were selling noise reduction technology for magnetic tape recorders. The traditional A-weighted measurements would show very little S/N ratio improvement when using Dolby-B. For this reason Dolby wanted to adopt the ITU-R468 method (which shows the difference quite clearly) but without the apparent 10 dB loss in S/N ratio as this was deemed bad for marketing. The solution adopted was to lower the gain of the filter, and use an average detector instead of the pseudo-peak one. Despite the 'ITU-ARM' name this is not an official standard, and not approved by the ITU. OPTIONS
-h Display short info -n <name> Name to use as jack client SEE ALSO jackd(1). AUTHOR
jnoisemeter was written by Fons Adriaensen <fons@kokkinizita.net>. This manual page was written by Jaromir Mike <mira.mikes@seznam.cz> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). August 2, 2010 JNOISEMETER(1)