Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editing a large size file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Editing a large size file Post 302098531 by vgersh99 on Monday 4th of December 2006 08:04:55 PM
Old 12-04-2006
define 'edit'?

can you use 'sed/ex' by scripting your 'edits'?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prevent file size is too large

We have EDP members will do some testing job in my system , but sometimes these process will generate some error to the system log or any file ( usually the members don't know the log is reached to this level ) , then make the system crashed , could suggest the way how can to prevent this problem ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Strange difference in file size when copying LARGE file..

Hi, Im trying to take a database backup. one of the files is 26 GB. I am using cp -pr to create a backup copy of the database. after the copying is complete, if i do du -hrs on the folders i saw a difference of 2GB. The weird fact is that the BACKUP folder was 2 GB more than the original one! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file with patterns and size

Hi, I have a large file with a repeating pattern in it. Now i want the file split into the block of patterns with a specified no. of lines in each file. i.e. The file is like 1... 2... 2... 3... 1... 2... 3... 1... 2... 2... 2... 2... 2... 3... where 1 is the start of the block... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

5. Programming

What programs do you use for editing large projects?

I've only been using Linux for a few months, so I'm just looking for general suggestions here. I use gedit in Linux and notepad/Crimson Editor in Windows for single-file solutions, but for projects with many files spanning several directories I'd like a program similar to MS's Visual Studio. At... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes. Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

Greetings, I'm stuck in a time warp using ancient machines from the prehistoric era that should be rightfully displayed in the Smithsonian. We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Empty directory, large size and performance

Hi, I've some directory that I used as working directory for a program. At the end of the procedure, the content is deleted. This directory, when I do a ls -l, appears to still take up some space. After a little research, I've seen on a another board of this forum that it's not really taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdx
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Splitting a Large XML file based on size AND tags

Hi All, This is my first post here. Hoping to share and gain knowledge from this great forum !!!! I've scanned this forum before posting my problem here, but I'm afraid I couldn't find any thread that addresses this exact problem. I'm trying to split a large XML file (with multiple tag... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviktheory11
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Variable content size caveats?

Hi, I wrote a shell script, which let me manage dns records through an api. The raw core-command looks like about this: output="$(curl -X GET https://mgt.myserver.de:8081/api/v1/servers/localhost/zones)"The output contains a list of all zones with all records and is about 800 Kilobytes... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
9 Replies
fcache_seqlimit_system(5)					File Formats Manual					 fcache_seqlimit_system(5)

NAME
fcache_seqlimit_system - percentage of file cache that can be consumed by sequential accesses, per system-wide limit VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values The minimum value allowed is The maximum value allowed is Specify a positive integer value. DESCRIPTION
This parameter places a system-wide limit on how much memory can be consumed in the file cache by sequential accesses. It is important to note the relationship between this tunable and the per-file limit tunable, These two tunables, in conjunction, control how much memory in the file cache can be consumed by sequential accesses. When sequential accesses to a file has exceeded the per-file limit AND the system-wide limit, the excess file cache pages are paged out. Note that both limits have to be reached in order for page stealing to occur. For example, a file can exceed its limit if the limit has not been reached. Similarly, no page stealing occurs if none of the files on the system has exceeded the per-file limit, even if the sys- tem-wide limit has been hit. The page stealing feature is specific to improving sequential I/O performance for large files. Limiting file cache memory consumption helps alleviate memory pressure in the file cache. It also prevents cache wiping -- a single thread sequentially accessing a large file can wipe out the existing contents of the file cache. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications which do large sequential file I/O's. Typically, these files are larger than the size of phys- ical memory on the system. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When you wish to allow greater file cache consumption due to sequential accesses. Setting and to 100 effectively disables the sequential access page stealing feature. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Setting the tunable too high may yield poor performance for large sequential I/O's for large files (larger than physical memory size). and should be tuned appropriately for the anticipated workload. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? When you wish to limit file cache consumption due to sequential accesses. Setting and to 0 forces sequential access page stealing to always occur. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Could cause more pageouts to occur in an attempt to limit the file cache consumption. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? and should be changed at the same time. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fcache_seqlimit_file(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters fcache_seqlimit_system(5)