Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users who truncates the output? redirection? tty? Bug? Post 302098452 by Darwin_ on Monday 4th of December 2006 10:13:29 AM
Old 12-04-2006
# /usr/ucb/ps auxwww | grep sleep
root 13628 0.0 0.1 1216 944 pts/5 S 16:07:44 0:00 sleep 8000 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

that works great for me on:

SunOS aiea 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

cheers,
Darwin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection to tty** with cat

I tried to cat a file to another user that was logged in, but I received an error message that displayed something like: %cat funny > /dev/ttyp3 zsh: permission denied: /dev/ttyp3 Thank you all for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorro
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopped (tty output)

What is mean by "Stopped (tty output)", how can i get rid of it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chandu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TTY colors are screwing up my output

I have been trying to get the output of an ssh session pushed to file... the problem is that there are colors in the output, and when I view the file the colors show up as "^[00m" or other such various nonsense The weird part is that if I do this all manually, I have no problems, but if I try to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and output

I'm redirecting the output of a command to a logfile, however, if the user is on a terminal I would also like the output to be displayed on the screen. tar tvf some_tarfile >Logfile if the user is on a term then have the output to the Logfile and also be displayed on the screen at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection output

Hi there I have a script that runs but it outputs everything onto the screen instead of a file. I've tried using the > outputfile.txt however all it does is dump the output to the screen and creates an outputfile.txt but doesn't put anything in that file. Any help would be appreciated ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kma07
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection

We have an application here that does some table queries and then prints the result on screen. I do not have the code of this application (which i will just call "queryCommand"), but what it does is that you call it with some parameters and it prints some info about the query and then the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolateh
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output redirection

Hello i am trying to write a script that will redirect the output to a certain file. Here is the code so far: #!/bin/bash ps -e | sort | more > psfile When I execute the script nothing happens since i assume the output was redirected to the file called psfile. When I try to look at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfruiz34
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection

Hi all I was wondering if there was a slicker way of doing this without the file - awk '{print $2}' FS=":" "${FILE}" > "${TMPFILE}" { read M_GRP_ID || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 1 (${FUNCNAME})" read M_GRP_WAIT || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 2 (${FUNCNAME})" }... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simply question about capturing output to /dev/tty

Suppose another person wrote the following one-line shell script: echo $RANDOM > /dev/tty QUESTION #1: How can the random number, which is output to the terminal by this script, be captured in a variable? QUESTION #2: How can this be done in a cron job? Specific code, whether in ksh or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul R
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux csh script going to Suspended (tty output) when running with & (bg)

i have strange behavior i have csh file that run java process something like this : run_server.csh #!/usr/bin/tcsh java -Dtest=testparam -cp ${TEST}/lib/device.jar:${TEST}/conf:${TEST}/lib/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar com.device.server when i run it like this :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
PTS_SLEEP(1)						       AFS Command Reference						      PTS_SLEEP(1)

NAME
pts_sleep - Pauses for a few seconds SYNOPSIS
pts sleep [-delay] <# of seconds> [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts sl [-d] <# of seconds> [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts sleep pauses for a specified number of seconds. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, although from the command line it's essentially equivalent to the sleep command. It is intended for use in interactive mode to pause for a few seconds between batch commands to allow the Protection Server to catch up. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts sleep command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts sleep takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> sleep 5 pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SLEEP(1)