Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ? Post 302098333 by sendai on Saturday 2nd of December 2006 04:46:29 PM
Old 12-02-2006
hum

try it if you have access to r00t account

chmod 750 /usr/bin/w

so only users with gid=0 or uid=0 will can run the w
;D

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How do I stop this???

Am having trouble trying to stop the process below ... bash# ps -eaf | grep "tape erase" root 29715 1 0 05:16:22 ttyp1 00:00:00 tape erase /dev/rStp0 root 22464 20933 1 03:40:12 ttyp6 00:00:00 grep tape eraseI've tried ... `kill -9 29715` ... but still no luck. Help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
8 Replies

2. AIX

Can you stop qdaemon from emailing users?

Morning, All. Does anyone know how to stop qdaemon from emailing users when print jobs fail? This is causing a problem as the application that we use is mail-aware; users get a prompt onscreen when they have unread mail in their UNIX account, however they don't all have access to the part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop users from running 'history -c' in Linux

Hi All, My question is how can i stop my users on system from deleting their history. How can i stop the users from running 'history -c'. I have searched thoroughly on the forum but didn't find any satisfactory solution to the problem. kindly help if you any suggestions Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xander
3 Replies

4. Solaris

stop - A

I am using solaris x86 with a pc keyboard. i am trying to get to the ok prompt i have tried ctrl-break but it is not working , alt-break will not as well. pls any thought? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

5. Web Development

Allow multiple users to start/stop tomcat

Hi, I have the user who runs tomcat: tomcat:tomcats I want to have another user who will be able to start and stop tomcat process. Is this possible? Thanks, Bianca (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: potro
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Stop flood - how ?

Hello there, I want to know what are the ways to monitorize and control/stop flooding on my server, because I am heavily flooded. At this moment I am doing all this manually (when I see that my bandwidth is lowering or some applications are freezing), my main working tool being iptables.But I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spiriad
1 Replies

7. Linux

Fedora- Stop users changing the time

Is there a way to stop users changing the time on their machines we are running fedora thanks Adam (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How can I stop this???

I have a user ( and actually me too) getting this messages when the screen is idle, I need help on stopping this messages: 2012 Feb 20 13:30:22 servername Audit: LENGTH: "330" SESSIONID: "339384" ENTRYID: "1" STATEMENT: "1" USERID: "OPS$PT2ADM" USERHOST: "zzzzzzzzzzz" ACTION: "100" RETURNCODE:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies
qmail-getpw(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    qmail-getpw(8)

NAME
qmail-getpw - give addresses to users SYNOPSIS
qmail-getpw local DESCRIPTION
In qmail, each user controls a vast array of local addresses. qmail-getpw finds the user that controls a particular address, local. It prints six pieces of information, each terminated by NUL: user; uid; gid; homedir; dash; and ext. The user's account name is user; the user's uid and gid in decimal are uid and gid; the user's home directory is homedir; and messages to local will be handled by home- dir/.qmaildashext. In case of trouble, qmail-getpw exits nonzero without printing anything. WARNING: The operating system's getpwnam function, which is at the heart of qmail-getpw, is inherently unreliable: it fails to distinguish between temporary errors and nonexistent users. Future versions of getpwnam should return ETXTBSY to indicate temporary errors and ESRCH to indicate nonexistent users. RULES
qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd to be a user if (1) the account has a nonzero uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is visible to qmail-getpw), and (3) the account owns its home directory. qmail-getpw ignores account names containing uppercase let- ters. qmail-getpw also assumes that all account names are shorter than 32 characters. qmail-getpw gives each user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. When local is user, dash and ext are both empty. When local is user-anything, dash is a hyphen and ext is anything. user may appear in any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters at the front of local. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. In this case ext is local and dash is a hyphen. You can override all of qmail-getpw's decisions with the qmail-users mechanism, which is reliable, highly configurable, and much faster than qmail-getpw. SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-getpw(8)