Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris [help]oracle database error on solaris 8 Post 302098329 by izy100 on Saturday 2nd of December 2006 09:58:37 AM
Old 12-02-2006
I beg to differ. Normally, a wrong entry in the semaphore in the /etc/system file will cause the DB to be unable to start up.

If the error you see happens a couple of days after restarting the DB, most likely it is due to fragmentation shared pool.

These are the things you can try in order:
1) Check for SQL that are not using binding variable, get your developers to change them to binding variable. This will reduce the number of distinct SQLs required to be cached in the shared_pool.

2) Increase the shared_pool and reduce the shared_pool_reserved size. This will allow more distinct SQLs to be cached in shared_pool and at the same time, reduce the usage of shared_pool_reserved. (This will help if the fragmented shared pool you are facing is at the shared_pool_reserved)

3) Check Oracle metalink for bugs related to this oracle error. I do know that Oracle 9i has a bug related to this, not too sure on Oracle 8i.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

oracle database on solaris and linux

what is the difference in running oracle database on solaris and linux operating system (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga
3 Replies

2. Solaris

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Is possbile to install Oracle database 10g on Solaris 11 Express ?

Today I finally tuned my Solaris 11 express so now works better :D I want to install some relational database on that machine and learn for my future carrier. I downloaded Oracle database 10g for Solaris x86 and tried to install it but my system didn't passed system requirements, installer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Oracle database 11R2 postinstalltion tasks, Solaris 10

Hi guys I installed Oracle database enterprise edition 11R2 on Solaris 10. More precise $ cat /etc/release Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10x_u9wos_14a X86 Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Assembled 11... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Identify a specific environment Oracle variable to connect a remote Oracle database ?

Good evening I nned your help pls, In an unix server i want to connect to a remote oracle databse server by sqlplus. I tried to find out the user/passwd and service name by env variable and all Ive got is this: ORACLE_SID_REPCOL=SCL_REPCOL ORACLE_SID=xmeta ORACLE_SID_TOL=SCL_PROTOLCOL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 11.2 x86 Local Zones for Oracle RAC database, intermittent Memory corruption of db

Hi, I was wondering if any Solaris fellow out there has dealt with running Solaris 11 x86 on Local Zones for Oracle RAC (which may or may not be relevant to issue), running on HP gen h/w. Every so often could be weeks between issues or some times days, there will be a memory corruption and db... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crossmypath
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)