Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using #! /bin/sh in Shell scripts Post 302098169 by grial on Friday 1st of December 2006 05:29:40 AM
Old 12-01-2006
Right. You should do what vino says before asking. Anyway, If you don't specify that information, the user's default shell will be used.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/sh shell question

HI, Nice to meet u... I am a newbie. I have met a problem in the work as following: SRCLOG="/Share/log/testlog/*" SRCLOG="/Share/log/systemlog/*" SRCLOG="/Share/log/log.conf" SRCLOG="/Share/log/message" How can I get the file or directory value from each element of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[/bin/sh] passing parameters with quotes between 2 scripts

Hi, I have a first shell script (/bin/sh) that receives some paremeters. This is only an example (there are more parameters in fact and this one is among them): -header "This is a test" This script calls a secund shell script (/bin/sh) with the same parameters. But, quotes disappear as I would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: velo_love
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts in ~/bin vs. functions in ~/.bashrc

Hi there, Anyone knows what would be the cons and pros of adding a script in ~/bin vs. a function in ~/.bashrc? I'm not sure how the system keeps tracks of some of the settings loaded in ~/.bashrc (like functions and aliases). Would I be right in thinking that this would all be loaded into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorbrca
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Questions about /usr/local/bin & scripts.

Hi gentlemen. For what intended is the directory /usr/local/bin? In this directory are some script. I don't understand how these scripts being in this directory are started. Each time after registration of the user occurs start of these scripts. These scripts start applications. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bourne shell] Asking stuff with #!bin/sh urgent!

1. Accept a “userid” as a command line argument 2. Produce the following output: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell 3. At this level, it may be assumed that the “userid” is a unique string in the file that is being searched 4.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandios
17 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell type.. /bin/uvalid?

Hi, I gave a command echo $SHELL --> To find out the shell I'm using, which gave me the below output echo $SHELL /bin/uvalid what does it mean? Please use code tags when posting data and code samples, thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)