Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put content of file into variables Post 302098137 by vino on Thursday 30th of November 2006 11:11:45 PM
Old 12-01-2006
Here is a solution without changing the IFS and getting rid of UUOC.

Code:
while read line
do
  echo "$line"
done < ${source_file}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line and put it into 3 variables

Hi All, I'll get a file whose 2nd line contains 3 fields: filename(variable length), file size char(10), and record count int(10). How do I cut it and put it into 3 variables? eg: abcd.csv01234567891111111111 now I want: $one = abcd.csv, $two = 0123456789, $three = 1111111111. I also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

put value of multiple sql statements into unix variables

i want to use multple sql count statements and store these count values in unix variable but in one connection only i.e. in only 1 time database should be hit ,which is the main requirement. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sw@pnil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to put variables into zenity radiolist

Hey guys, i have got a problem...zenity is not being able to read my variables in its radiolist options. as zenity needs a FALSE in front of a radiolist options, i have decided to ... op=$(awk '{print "FALSE" " " $2} /etc/fstab) $?=$(zenity --list --text "mount" --radiolist --column... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplate07
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file content as individual variables

Hello, I've created a couple of files within a list using the command "ls -ltr | tail -2 > list" These files are the newest files placed within a directory. From the "list" file, I need to place the filenames as a variable. In which the newest file will be called "new_ctrl" the older file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Content from one file to another with variables

Greetings All, Need some help, your input is appreciated. Scenario: I have five files, each has one line with comletely different content. I execute the command to combine all the five lines of content into a single file. Goal: I would like to take that single file that has the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing content of two variables

I have very abstract need of "comparing two variables" and take subsequent actions. please refer to image below https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frNk5iA3q1c/TjI3lE0sWOI/AAAAAAAAAIE/fxzB1w07gas/script_block.JPG I have a part of script which reads a file and generates variables based on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put variables commands in config files?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to put in variables all the commands in /bin config files: /home/test/config_file/config.cfg cat /home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=/bin/echo LS=/bin/lsMain script cat test.sh source=/home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=$ECHO LS=$LS#i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent content of variables from showing in ps

system OS: ubuntu, redhat shell: /bin/sh i noticed that if im running a script and i go to a separate terminal and type: ps -efauxx | egrep "<the-script-name>" i see that the content of all the variables in the script are all visible. How can i avoid/prevent this? the scripts in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
ae-sccs-put(1)															    ae-sccs-put(1)

NAME
ae-sccs-put - put sccs version SYNOPSIS
ae-sccs-put -ycomment -Ginput-file history-file DESCRIPTION
The ae-sccs-put command is used to commit changes to an SCCS file. It insulates against a number of SCCS's quirks, and maps to Aegis' expectations better than using the SCCS commands directory in the history commands in the project aegis.conf configuration file. The file comments must be specified on the command line. The source file must be specified on the command line. It is expected that there is not lock current in the history file. This is consistent with Aegis' use of its history tool. The history file need to exist yet. It will be created (with the sccs admin command) if it does not. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -Gsource-file This option must be used to specify the source file to be checked into the history. -ycomment This option must be used to specify the comment to be attached to the file history. You probably need to use quotes to insulate the white space in the comment. EXIT STATUS
The ae-sccs-put command will exit with a status of 1 on any error. The ae-sccs-put command will only exit with a status of 0 if there are no errors. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See aegis(1) for a list of environment variables which may affect this command. See aepconf(5) for the project configuration file's project_specific field for how to set environment variables for all commands executed by Aegis. COPYRIGHT
ae-sccs-put version 4.24.3.D001 Copyright (C) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Peter Miller The ae-sccs-put program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'ae-sccs-put -VERSion License' command. This is free soft- ware and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'ae-sccs-put -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: millerp@canb.auug.org.au //* WWW: http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/ Reference Manual Aegis ae-sccs-put(1)