Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Should I learn UML 2.0?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Should I learn UML 2.0? Post 302098133 by cbkihong on Thursday 30th of November 2006 08:24:37 PM
Old 11-30-2006
For software engineering, yes, at least most people will say yes. For software development, yes and no. To communicate with those software engineers who do use UML, yes. To use tools which require UML, yes. To make those pillow-thick specifications full of design diagrams as demanded by some large companies, yes. Otherwise, no.

But considering UML is just a way, albeit commonly agreed, to modeling, provided you can communicate your design to others, I see no reason to reject any usage of some variations of UML or even something totally different for representation.

I'm somewhat a software engineer. I have not formally learned UML (actually I have scratched the surface - that was when I was still in university some years ago) but over time I found myself not totally adhering to UML most of the time. Frankly I don't do diagrammatic modeling and design that much. Most of the time, I just build class interfaces as prototypes directly and then fill in the code without using any modeling tools (I don't have money to ever touch any of them). I may also choose to prototype in a language that I know best (that will most likely be some scripting language such as PHP or Perl), and then porting that design eventually to the platform I need to support (such as Java, or C[++]).

If one day you somehow get the chance to use some RAD toolts like Rational Rose, then UML will be a must because that's what it uses.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
CAPISUITE(8)															      CAPISUITE(8)

NAME
capisuite - Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite DESCRIPTION
CapiSuite is a Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite. It uses the new CAPI interface for accessing your ISDN-hardware - so you'll need a card for which a CAPI compatible driver is available. Currently these are all cards manufactured by AVM and some Eicon cards. This man page only gives a short introduction, for the real documentation please see the HTML or PDF manual distributed with CapiSuite. CapiSuite tries to give the user the ability to code his own ISDN applications without having to fiddle around with all the dirty program- ming details like callback functions, data buffers, protocol settings and so on. I took a scripting language which is (in my opinion) very easy to understand, to use and to learn - especially for beginners: Python. I extended it with some functions providing the basic ISDN "building blocks" for the users application. Behind these functions the heart of CapiSuite implements all the dirty details a user isn't interested in. My goal was to make script-coding as simple as possible but to also give you the flexibility to realize what you want. To give you an impression, coding a simple answering machine is as easy as:.IP .nf def callIncoming (call, service, call_from, call_to): connect_voice (call, 10) # answer call after 10 secs audio_send (call, "announcemnt.la") # play announcement audio_send (call, "beep.la") # play beep audio_receive (call, "call.la", 10) # record call .fi Of course some details are missing like creating a unique filename or storing the additional information (called and calling party numbers, time, ...) - but I assume you got my idea. And - don't be afraid - if you just want to have a normal answering machine or send and receive some fax documents, you can use the default scripts distributed with CapiSuite. They give you already some nice features - e.g. the answering machine is multi-user ready, supports automatic fax detection and remote inquiry functions. You'll only need to tell CapiSuite some details like your own number, record an own announcement and that's it. So CapiSuite is already equipped for your daily telecommunication needs - but if you don't like to do the things the way I do - just change it or completely do it on your own. And if you write nice scripts or have changes to my default scripts, I would love to get and perhaps make them available for all users if you don't mind. SEE ALSO
capisuite.conf(5), fax.conf(5), answering_machine.conf(5), capisuitefax(1) AUTHOR
Gernot Hillier <gernot@hillier.de>. CAPISUITE(8)