Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Should I learn UML 2.0?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Should I learn UML 2.0? Post 302098115 by Aaron Van on Thursday 30th of November 2006 05:26:21 PM
Old 11-30-2006
Should I learn UML 2.0?

I'm a non-programmer but I built a computer with FreeBSD and have been learning that operating system and I plan on studying the other *ixs. Also, I am teaching myself Python in hopes of becoming a programmer and I wonder if I need to learn UML 2.0 at the same time? I'm not brand new to programming--having taken FORTRAN & Pascal in the late 1970s and early 1980s--but I'm effectively at skill-level zero. After I learn Python, I hope to learn (or at least gain working knowledge) shell, Perl, C/C++, Java, and LISP. My long-term goal is a software engineering career and I wonder if UML is a prerequisite?

Thanks for any advice.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
gvrng(1)																  gvrng(1)

NAME
gvrng - An interactive, introductory programming language. SYNTAX
gvrng [world file | program file] DESCRIPTION
Guido van Robot is a project developed by advanced high school students for use by their peers as a learning tool and precursor to the fur- ther study of programming with Python. It is a minimalistic programming language providing just enough syntax to help students learn the concepts of sequencing, conditional branching, looping and procedural abstraction. It's biggest strength is that it permits this learning in an environment that combines the thrill of problem-solving with instant visual feedback. In short, it is an interactive, introductory programming language that is excellent for learning the basic concepts of programming, applicable in any high-level language. Best of all, it's a whole lot of fun, too! At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "What is GvRng, specifically?" The gist of it is that it is a robot represented by a tri- angle on the screen that moves around in a world made up of streets and avenues, walls and "beepers", which Guido can collect or set. His actions are completely guided by a program written by the user. FILES
/usr/bin/gvrng /usr/lib/gvrng /usr/share/doc/gvrng AUTHORS
Stas Zytkiewicz - stasz@linux.isbeter.nl Waseem Daher - wdaher@mit.edu Steve Howell - showell@zipcon.net SEE ALSO
http://gvrng.sourceforge.net Stas Zytkiewicz 1.0 09/13/2004 gvrng(1)