Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recursive wc on a directory?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recursive wc on a directory? Post 302097941 by bimba17 on Wednesday 29th of November 2006 03:44:41 PM
Old 11-29-2006
recursive wc on a directory?

Hi all,
I need to count the number of lines in all the files under a directory (several levels deep). I am feeling extremely dumb, but I don't know how to do that. Needless to say, I am not a shell script wiz... Any advice?

thanks in advance!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

non recursive search in the current directory only

Hi, Am trying for a script which should delete more than 15 days older files in my current directory.Am using the below piece of code: "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/ls -altr {} \;" "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/rm -f {} \;" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puppala
9 Replies

2. Programming

recursive copy of the directory

I want to copy a directory recursively ( it again has directories) and the directory is on windows and is nfsmounted in vxWorks, i am using unix to develop the code for this, can any one suggest me how to copy the directories recursively. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive directory listing with ownership

i'm playing around with "ls" and "find" and am trying to get a print out of directories, with full path, (recursive) and their ownership.... without files or package contents (Mac .pkg or .mpkg files). I'd like it simply displayed without much/any extraneous info. everything i've tried, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
5 Replies

4. Programming

Recursive remove directory.

What is the best way to completely remove dir with it's content ??? rmdir deletes only EMPTY dirs as i know. The man page of remove function says "remove() deletes a name from the file system." Can it remove any dir recursively ??? :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive directory search using ls instead of find

I was working on a shell script and found that the find command took too long, especially when I had to execute it multiple times. After some thought and research I came up with two functions. fileScan() filescan will cd into a directory and perform any operations you would like from within... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Chattr recursive exclude directory

Attempting to recursive chattr directories while excluding a directory, however the command which works with chown does not seem to with chattr find /mysite/public_html ! -wholename '/mysite/public_html/images' -type d -exec chattr -R +i {} \; find /mysite/public_html -not -path "*/images*"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD