Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Where does cron run from?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where does cron run from? Post 302097932 by BOFH on Wednesday 29th of November 2006 12:58:08 PM
Old 11-29-2006
You just need to change to the directory before you begin tarring. The line before the tar command should be "cd /tmp/daily_backups" for example.

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron fail to run

Hi, Does anyone know why the cron job fail to run automatically ? We have the problem with some Solaris 2.5.1 Machine ! The cron seemd to fail to submit the jobs defined at the defined time !! Why ? Sometime it runs OK,but sometime it fail . We are very sure the problem is due to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerwin_hsu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does cron run this differently?

test.ksh =================== #!/usr/bin/ksh APPLICATION=hr_app APPLICATION_UPPER=`echo $APPLICATION | tr ` echo $APPLICATION_UPPER > /tmp/test.txt echo $APPLICATION >> /tmp/test.txt which tr >> /tmp/test.txt =================== When I run this from the shell: /home/natter> more... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
6 Replies

3. Linux

cron jobs not run

hi, I am newbie, I had set cron jobs to update something on one time very day, I had tested the script, it run fine, but the cron jobs seem never run. some help? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertsnoog
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does not run via cron job

I have a perl script, when I ran manually it works perfect. I check the permissions which are fine. How can I find out why it is not running? how can I setup a log to check. I am running it on solaris 9. It compares multiple files, SCP and then send out an e-mail. As I said when I ran it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron does not appear to run

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with a cron, I am using Solaris 10 and need to run a php file every 5 minutes. I can run the file from the test user, but the cron does not seem to run. I do not see anything about it in /var/cron/log but see crons for other users running. What should I look... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: atomicbits
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

which one is better Run by Cron or Shell

Dear Experts, I have a script defined in Cron which runs every 1 minute. * * * * * /export/home/myscript.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 Now the issue is executing that myscript.sh sometime will take 2/3 or more minutes to finish execution. But after 1 minute cron will invoke another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to run a command from cron

How can I run the following command from cron? tar -cvf /email_backup/email_bu_062110.tar /prod/email (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim73
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run cron on every second Saturday ??

Hi, Can anyone help in editing CRON (OR) write a script to run another script every second saturday?? I tried to make use of DATE command to find the day but couldnt proceed further. your help is highly appreciated! Thanks, Mahi (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Who -u gives different output if run from cron than if run from terminal?

If I run 'who -u' interactively or from a script invoked through bash in a tty on my Ubuntu 12LTS box I get an output like this: testuser pts/0 Dec 9 02:32 . 2163 (host.xx.yy) running the same through cron I get: testuser pts/0 2012-12-09 02:32 00:05 2163... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: latimer
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
ATD(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    ATD(8)

NAME
atd - run jobs queued for later execution SYNOPSIS
atd [-l load_avg] [-b batch_interval] [-d] [-f] [-s] DESCRIPTION
atd runs jobs queued by at(1). OPTIONS
-l Specifies a limiting load factor, over which batch jobs should not be run, instead of the compile-time choice of 1.5. For an SMP system with n CPUs, you will probably want to set this higher than n-1. -b Specify the minimum interval in seconds between the start of two batch jobs (60 default). -d Debug; print error messages to standard error instead of using syslog(3). This option also implies -f. -f Run atd in the foreground. -s Process the at/batch queue only once. This is primarily of use for compatibility with old versions of at; atd -s is equivalent to the old atrun command. A script invoking atd -s is installed as /usr/sbin/atrun for backward compatibility. WARNING
atd won't work if its spool directory is mounted via NFS even if no_root_squash is set. FILES
/var/spool/cron/atjobs The directory for storing jobs; this should be mode 700, owner daemon. /var/spool/cron/atspool The directory for storing output; this should be mode 700, owner daemon. /etc/at.allow, /etc/at.deny determine who can use the at system. SEE ALSO
at(1), atrun(1), cron(8), crontab(1), syslog(3), at.deny(5), at.allow(5). BUGS
The functionality of atd should be merged into cron(8). 2009-11-14 ATD(8)