Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Return Key
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return Key Post 302097855 by chapmana on Wednesday 29th of November 2006 03:52:24 AM
Old 11-29-2006
I cant seem to get it working my code is set up like this:

read ans

if [ $ans = X ]

then

echo "Thanks For Using Logit, Goodbye" $fname $lname

exit 1

else
echo "Wrong Commannd Entered"

logit

fi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Behavior Return key

Hi all! Well, you might have guessed it, I am looking for a way to control the return key under Solaris 8 and using telnet connections. I notice a difference between Solaris and System V but I don't know exactly where to look for changes. The stty params are slightly different but as far as I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulnul7
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify whether the return key is pressed ??

I want my program(ksh) to execute further only if the return key is pressed. Please help. i have already tried "\n", "\r", "^M" . Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AiK
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time on every time pressing return key

Hi all, I have a situation here, I want that every time when i press "enter key" in bash prompt i want the date command to be executed. i have tried to make some changes in "/etc/bashrc" but no luck. Thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xander
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 ssh public key authentication issue - Server refused our key

Hi, I've used the following way to set ssh public key authentication and it is working fine on Solaris 10, RedHat Linux and SuSE Linux servers without any problem. But I got error 'Server refused our key' on Solaris 8 system. Solaris 8 uses SSH2 too. Why? Please help. Thanks. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter key or carriage return as input in perl

hi experts Question in perl i'm creating a script to take from user a different inputs one of them is the carriage return .. so that i want to make an if condition if the user hit enter key the user will go to previous step it something like that chomp ($input = <STDIN>); if ($input =~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubando
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script to automatically accept return key with out user intervention?

Hi Friends, i am creating a shell script which is accepting file name as input parameter from Java and invoking finacle service. The service will accpet text file,B2k_session id,etc and upload the text file data in finacle database. My shell script looks like this:- #! /bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)