Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test Null variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test Null variable Post 302097430 by kykyboss on Friday 24th of November 2006 09:25:24 AM
Old 11-24-2006
test Null variable

hi forum

i beginning with script and i want test un null variable in a schell
i just don t know the syntax here is a litle example

y=test
echo $y
unset y
echo $y (so here Y = Null)

if Y=Null

then
echo "y is null"
exit
fi

i have try
if [ !$y ]
but i have the error
test: argument expected

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: how to tell if variable is NULL

How to I do a check on a variable to see if it's null-- I am using Perl. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter a null variable.

I have the necessity to use this command: cat file1 | grep $A | grep $B where sometime A and, or, B are not set. For example: I set A=@ never defined or set B The above command send a cat error. Any idea? Thanks. Giovanni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check null variable

korn shell If then update_smartcare_user_password "$u_id" else echo "Not a database user" fi i get this error Syntax error at line *** : `then' is not expected. what should i do. I want to check whether $a is null or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on NULL and zero value of variable

Hi all, I have a stupid question on NULL and zero(0). In a script I've been working with, one of the lines is: if && then The problem I seem to have is when $Current_csm2 is null, this if block is not triggered, and I don't get why because I was under the impression that NULL!=0 Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spynappels
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command with variable options having spaces or null contents

Hi, I'm having an issue trying to produce a hierarchical directory menu that has either any directories listed in a specific directory as options or options with spaces in the option content or null content. So the menu function gets passed a base directory, it then lists any .sh scripts in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If grep value is null then assign 0 to variable

DELETE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Delete" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` INSERT=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Insert" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` UPDATE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Update" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` I need soming like below: if value is null... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
8 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)