Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Patphr
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Patphr Post 302097360 by patphr on Thursday 23rd of November 2006 05:24:20 PM
Old 11-23-2006
Patphr

Hi! I am using a RS6000 system with Unix. Each night I have a backup of the entire system using the tar command. My tape drive went bad and I have lost many (2 months) backups. One was at the end of the year and cannot be recovered. How may I prevent this from happening again? How can I be sure my system is working? How can I be sure I have a good backup each night? Thanks in advance.

AMRMTAPE(8)						  System Administration Commands					       AMRMTAPE(8)

NAME
amrmtape - remove a tape from the Amanda database SYNOPSIS
amrmtape [--changer changer-name] [--cleanup] [--dryrun] [-n] [--erase] [--keep-label] [--quiet] [-q] [--verbose] [-v] config label DESCRIPTION
Amrmtape invalidates the contents of an existing backup tape in the configuration database. This is meant as a recovery mechanism when a good backup is damaged either by faulty hardware or user error, e.g. the tape is eaten by the drive or is overwritten. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
--changer changer-name Specify which changer to use when erasing label --cleanup Remove logs and indexes associated with label. Otherwise, they'll remain until the next run of amdump. --dryrun, -n Generate new tapelist(5) and database files with label removed, but leave them in /tmp and do not update the original copies. --erase Attempt to erase the data contained on the volume with the given label. This requires that Amanda be able to find that volume using the tape changer. Erasure is not supported by all Amanda devices, and the erasure is not "secure" in the sense that the data can most likely be recovered by someone with the right tools. --keep-label Do not remove label from the tapelist. --verbose, -v List backups of hosts and disks that are being discarded. Enabled by default. --quiet, -q Opposite of -v. EXAMPLE
Remove tape labeled DAILY034 from the DailySet1 configuration. # amrmtape DailySet1 DAILY034 SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amadmin(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Adrian T. Filipi-Martin <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMRMTAPE(8)