Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod 777 security risks?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod 777 security risks? Post 302097260 by blowtorch on Wednesday 22nd of November 2006 10:39:36 PM
Old 11-22-2006
You are thinking only of shell access. There may be other ways that a cracker might use. These do not necessarily involve using a shell account. Crackers use many different ways to deface sites/steal info/do whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
It's like leaving the keys in your car bacuse it is in a locked garage.
To put it in the context of reborg's quote, what you are doing is assuming that the garage is locked, so the car is safe. What happens if the garage is broken into?

And about giving your business partner permissions to change the files, can't you just set access control lists (setfacl/getfacl on Solaris)?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. Solaris

chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup

Hello Everyone: One of our admins here accidently ran chmod -R 777 in the /usr folder on a V440 running Solaris 9. After that no one could run any command and could not login. I fixed most of the things by re-restricting some rights and applying the correct rights. Now there is a problem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muntaser_zaheer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 * - oops

I can belive I really did this... chmod 777 /home :eek: I have my /home directory synced to another machine. Can anyone tell me how to get the permissions from back up server /home to production server /home It's important that I dont over write the files on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shunter63
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

can another user 777 and existing 777 dirctory?

User usrA creates dirA directory and runs chmod 777 on the directory. Can usrB issue another 777 on dirA? It appears the answer is no even if the usrA and usrB are part of the same group. I know this is a rare scenario but I just ran across it and found out that usrB receives an error when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlek131
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

chmod -R 777 * in cygwin

Hello, I use windows XP on a small server. Lately I downloaded a software (hydrological computation) which asked me to install as well the software ‘cygwin' (kind of linux in windows environment) and then to perform in cygwin window the command: ‘chmod -R 777 *' in order to give writings... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cedalise
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only allowing chmod 777 for file upload folder

Hey everyone. I have 2 different linux servers (each one is through a different web hosting company). On both servers I have the exact same PHP file upload script that allows users to upload a file or image to the server (everything on both servers is identical). On server #1 the "attachments"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Canuck
5 Replies
CHMOD(2)							System Calls Manual							  CHMOD(2)

NAME
chmod - change mode of file SYNOPSIS
chmod(name, mode) char *name; DESCRIPTION
The file whose name is given as the null-terminated string pointed to by name has its mode changed to mode. Modes are constructed by ORing together some combination of the following: 04000 set user ID on execution 02000 set group ID on execution 01000 save text image after execution 00400 read by owner 00200 write by owner 00100 execute (search on directory) by owner 00070 read, write, execute (search) by group 00007 read, write, execute (search) by others If an executable file is set up for sharing (-n or -i option of ld(1)) then mode 1000 prevents the system from abandoning the swap-space image of the program-text portion of the file when its last user terminates. Thus when the next user of the file executes it, the text need not be read from the file system but can simply be swapped in, saving time. Ability to set this bit is restricted to the super-user since swap space is consumed by the images; it is only worth while for heavily used commands. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change the mode. Only the super-user can set the 1000 mode. SEE ALSO
chmod(1) DIAGNOSTIC
Zero is returned if the mode is changed; -1 is returned if name cannot be found or if current user is neither the owner of the file nor the super-user. ASSEMBLER
(chmod = 15.) sys chmod; name; mode CHMOD(2)