Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with script, trying to get tcpdump and rotate the file every 300 seconds Post 302097134 by dhanamurthy on Wednesday 22nd of November 2006 02:06:31 AM
Old 11-22-2006
I have two questions .

1. What is the error you are getting ?.
2. From your code i understand that it sleeps for 2 seconds and takes a tcpdump. But your requirement is for 5 minutes. Your script changes names for every two seconds.
Sleep takes seconds as its arugment.

Let me know if this helps ........

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to rotate logs

I have a shell script that will gzip/tar/archive application logs that are over 20 days old which works just fine, but I would like to convert to a Perl script. Problem is, I'm a beginner with Perl and all attempts so far have failed. Basicaly I have a log dir /app/logs that contains several... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: theninja
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Log Rotate

Hello, I only know the basic for shell programing. I need help for this, I thinks this is a basic for anyone who know a litle of shell scripting. I need creat a script for a rotatate logs, when a filesystem is full. I have a filesystem. The rotate consist in zip the current log (copy) and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: El Rengo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron script to rotate log files

I have a mac server. I have been having problems with my logs. My hard disk became full, when i researched into why it was full it was due to massive log files. There was barley any log rotation policies in place on the server. I tired to use logrotate. This doesn't work on my server. It is a MAC... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a rotate log script

Hi all, Am trying to write my own log rotate script. Curremtly, what I have is as below: #!/bin/ksh file_to_rotate=${1} x=${2} while ] do let curr=${x} let prev=${x}-1 if ] ; then #echo "cp -p ${file_to_rotate} ${file_to_rotate}.${curr}" cp -p... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rotate file log

Hi Experts, I have script on crontab and give output quite large. I would like to know how to create rotate log when the size of log maximum 50MB if the test.log is 50MB then create test.0 Thanks Edy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

How To Rotate A File in HP-UX?

I need to rotate a file in HP-UX of a application. I´ve tried to do a task in the cron with a script (with sed and ed commands) but it was a successfully option (the application continued writing the file :( ) LINEAS_OUT=$(wc -l < $RMISTDOUT) LINEAS_FIN=1,expr $LINEAS_OUT - 100p sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: werkraft
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need script to rotate logs

I have few solaris-10 non global zones, where one application is writing some logs to /var/ovd/ConfigLogs. It keeps increasing all the time, as it is needed by application team as of now. I want a small script, which I can configure in cronjob, which should : - Run every Saturday 10 PM - Copy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move .300 extension file from 1 dir to other and email

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which move .300 extension files from /home/sofia/ to /home/sofia/test and sends me an email with the list of files moved like this :- The following files has been moved from /home/sofia/ to /home/sofia/test 1. alpha.300 2. beta.300 Email only if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sofia8679
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)