Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming debugging a shared library (unix) Post 302097000 by nadiamihu on Tuesday 21st of November 2006 05:05:09 AM
Old 11-21-2006
debugging a shared library (unix)

How can I debug a C++ program (unix) that uses a dinamycaly linked library (dlopen(), dlsym())? I mean I want to be able to go through the library code too. I used ddd, but it's not working.

thanks in advance!

nadia

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

debugging shared objects

Hi, i am trying to debug a binary which is using a shared lib. but i could not succeed in tracking the code flow in the classes defined in this library. i get: class MyClass <opaque> error i followed the instructions in the link below:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakari
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing the contents of a shared Unix library

I am brand new to Unix. This is probably simple, but how do you list the contents of a shared library? I need to see which functions exist in it. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mickpoil
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Link error while linking a shared library in unix

Getting the following error , ld: /opt/syncsort39/lib/libsyncsort.sl: Mismatched ABI. 64-bit PA shared library found in 32-bit link. Is there any difference in the ld options in opt file while linking a 64 bit shared library ? Or is the problem because we are trying to link both 32 bit and 64... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

6. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
DLOPEN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 DLOPEN(3)

NAME
dlopen -- load and link a dynamic library or bundle SYNOPSIS
#include <dlfcn.h> void* dlopen(const char* path, int mode); DESCRIPTION
dlopen() examines the mach-o file specified by path. If the file is compatible with the current process and has not already been loaded into the current process, it is loaded and linked. After being linked, if it contains any initializer functions, they are called, before dlopen() returns. dlopen() can load dynamic libraries and bundles. It returns a handle that can be used with dlsym() and dlclose(). A second call to dlopen() with the same path will return the same handle, but the internal reference count for the handle will be incremented. Therefore all dlopen() calls should be balanced with a dlclose() call. If a null pointer is passed in path, dlopen() returns a handle equivalent to RTLD_DEFAULT. mode contains options to dlopen(). It must contain one or more of the following values, possibly ORed together: RTLD_LAZY Each external function reference is bound the first time the function is called. RTLD_NOW All external function references are bound immediately during the call to dlopen(). RTLD_LAZY is normally preferred, for reasons of efficiency. However, RTLD_NOW is useful to ensure that any undefined symbols are discovered during the call to dlopen(). If neither RTLD_LAZY nor RTLD_NOW is specified, the default is RTLD_LAZY. One of the following flags may be ORed into the mode argument: RTLD_GLOBAL Symbols exported from this image (dynamic library or bundle) will be available to any images build with -flat_namespace option to ld(1) or to calls to dlsym() when using a special handle. RTLD_LOCAL Symbols exported from this image (dynamic library or bundle) are generally hidden and only availble to dlsym() when directly using the handle returned by this call to dlopen(). If neither RTLD_GLOBAL nor RTLD_LOCAL is specified, the default is RTLD_GLOBAL. One of the following may be ORed into the mode argument: RTLD_NOLOAD The specified image is not loaded. However, a valid handle is returned if the image already exists in the process. This pro- vides a way to query if an image is already loaded. The handle returned is ref-counted, so you eventually need a correspond- ing call to dlclose() RTLD_NODELETE The specified image is tagged so that will never be removed from the address space, even after all clients have released it via dlclose() Additionally, the following may be ORed into the mode argument: RTLD_FIRST The retuned handle is tagged so that any dlsym() calls on the handle will only search the image specified, and not subsequent images. If path is NULL and the option RTLD_FIRST is used, the handle returned will only search the main executable. SEARCHING
dlopen() searches for a compatible Mach-O file in the directories specified by a set of environment variables and the process's current work- ing directory. When set, the environment variables contain a colon-separated list of directory paths, which can be absolute or relative to the current working directory. When path does not contain a slash character (i.e. it is just a leaf name), dlopen() searches the following until it finds a compatible Mach- O file: $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, current working directory, $DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH. When path looks like a framework path (e.g. /stuff/foo.framework/foo), dlopen() searches the following until it finds a compatible Mach-O file: $DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH (with framework partial path from path ), then the supplied path (using current working directory for relative paths), then $DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH (with framework partial path from path ). When path contains a slash but is not a framework path (i.e. a full path or a partial path to a dylib), dlopen() searches the following until it finds a compatible Mach-O file: $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (with leaf name from path ), then the supplied path (using current working directory for relative paths), then $DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH (with leaf name from path ). Note: If DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is not set, dlopen operates as if DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH was set to $HOME/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib. Note: If DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH is not set, dlopen operates as if DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH was set to $HOME/Library/Frame- works:/Library/Frameworks:/Network/Library/Frameworks:/System/Library/Frameworks. Note: There are no configuration files to control dlopen searching. Note: If the main executable is a set[ug]id binary or codesigned with entitlements, then all environment variables are ignored, and only a full path can be used. Note: Mac OS X uses "universal" files to combine 32-bit and 64-bit libraries. This means there are no separate 32-bit and 64-bit search paths. RETURN VALUES
If dlopen() fails, it returns a null pointer, and sets an error condition which may be interrogated with dlerror(). SEE ALSO
dlopen_preflight(3) dlclose(3) dlsym(3) dlerror(3) dyld(1) ld(1) BSD
Aug 7, 2012 BSD