Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .exe files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .exe files Post 302096975 by blowtorch on Tuesday 21st of November 2006 02:28:47 AM
Old 11-21-2006
You probably cant. As a general rule, you cannot just take executable binaries from one OS to another OS and expect them to work. You will probably have to recompile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running EXE files on UNIX

I'm trying to find out if a executible file created in visual basic will run in the CGI-BIN of a unix server. I see the C section but no mention of VB. Thanks Sean (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanstog
1 Replies

2. Programming

how To edit exe to insert a serial no wich can be usd by runing exe

At time of installation I have to open the resource. and i have to insert a string serial number in the exe. please provide me code to edit the exe (in solaris) to insert a serial number which can be used by exe at run time. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssahu
6 Replies

3. SuSE

does exe

does exe files works withe suse am new n linux system and were can i find msn 4 linux (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulla
2 Replies

4. Programming

running exe

how we can run the exe when the system starts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list exe files modified before certain dates

Can you please tell me how I can list all EXE files in a dir and Subdir which where modified say before 01/01/2006 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fremont
2 Replies

6. Programming

exe

Is it possible to extract c program,from its executable file(.exe)? i mean we dont have program but its exe file only which runs,can we retrieve the program? if yes how? if no why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown9
2 Replies

7. Programming

How . exe files work

:confused:Hi I work on a production server. We have some .exe files in our system, the source of these files are C++ programs that are stored in the development server. How these .exe work. Could somebody please tell that in detail. Thanks a lot!! Kanu (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
8 Replies

8. Programming

How to build .exe from c

All, I have never comipled C code before and would appricaite if anyone could tell me how to build a .exe from a C program. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
5 Replies

9. Programming

exe

hello everyone, could somebody tell me where can i find some good exercises on signals,processes and threads? actually i need to find some solved exercises in system programming. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: micy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run exe files in unix

Hi I have a open source tool called table text comparator Link to download that tool: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/csv_file_comparison.html I wish to run this tool in our unix servers. In windows O.S i just have to unzip and i can use this tool by running the .exe file. So i want to know how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)