Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Re-direct the error msg to log file Post 302096941 by zazzybob on Monday 20th of November 2006 07:35:38 PM
Old 11-20-2006
OK, first thing first, you're also trying (in a syntactically incorrect way) to append STDOUT to the log too (which would never actually assign anything to the variable.... if the whole thing was enclosed in backticks... ).

I believe that you want this:

Code:
a=`expr ${i} + ${j} 2>>${log_file}`

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix ftp error msg help

we have two alpha stations which are connected on two sides on the same wan (64k leased line), here is one problem described as follow. when i do a ftp to copy a file form one to another, an error mesg shown and the file lenth is 0 at last. diamond> ftp 192.168.50.1 Connected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royxiao
1 Replies

2. SuSE

/var/log/boot.msg

I have a Dell Latitude c840 that runs SuSE 8.0 Enterprise server that hangs on bootup on trying to create /var/log/boot.msg. It boots in rescue mode just fine. I've tried deleting the old boot.msg file that was in there, but that did no good. Does anyone have any advice/know of a website with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Sending Error msg from HP-UX to E-mail address

Sometimes, for any reason, the UX System sends messages to /var/mail/root and/or to Error Log of the guardian. I'll appreciating if you help me to configure so that those messages are also sent to the System Administrator's e-mail address. Regards Gege (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cgege
1 Replies

4. Linux

Pop error msg

mit@mydomain.com here is the latest error message: There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mit@mydomain.com', Server: 'mail.mit.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direct the output of a script to a log file

Hi, I have a script to compare 2 files. file1=$1 file2=$2 num_of_records_file1=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file1` num_of_records_file2=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file2` i=1 while do sed -n "$i"p $file1 > file1_temp sed -n "$i"p $file2 > file2_temp diff file1_temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display an error msg?

Hi friends, Please suggest a solution for this. A script has following things. echo "Enter P for PML" echo "Enter V for VVL" echo "Enter L for LNL" echo "Enter G for GDL" read choice echo ${choice} >> LOG_Daily.txt if operator enters anything other that P/V/L/G it should show an... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

re-direct to log file

#!/bin/ksh -x cd /tmp/tj ftp -n servername.com << DONE user username password as put test.log quit close DONE echo "testing..." sh -x scriptname, and it shows all, but username, as, put, quit, close, DONE. how can i see those ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

8. AIX

Error msg

When i run errpt -a, the output was below: --------------------------------------------------------------------------- LABEL: DMPCHK_NOSPACE IDENTIFIER: F89FB899 Date/Time: Tue Jan 17 15:00:02 BEIS Sequence Number: 28998 Machine Id: 0058C0CE4C00 Node Id: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivanku
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating sed Direct Input to Direct Output

Hi guys, been scratching round the forums and my mountain of resources. Maybe I havn't read deep enough My question is not how sed edits a stream and outputs it to a file, rather something like this below: I have a .txt with some text in it :rolleyes: abc:123:xyz 123:abc:987... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0nion
7 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

How can I direct messages from mac console.app to a log file?

I'm trying to complete a bash script to capture if an external webcam is active in a video conference session. Some users will switch the camera to the built-in MAC camera. When this happens I want to trigger a set of events. Things tried: reviewed the console.app to look for patterns on when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
6 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
arguments DESCRIPTION
takes arguments as an expression, evaluates, then writes the result on the standard output. Terms in the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note that rather than the null string, is returned to indicate a zero value. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments can be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2's complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by The list is in order of increasing prece- dence with equal-precedence operators grouped within symbols. Returns the first expr if it is neither null nor otherwise returns the second expr. In the UNIX 2003 environment, returns 0 if the first expr is null or and the second expr is null. Returns the first expr if neither expr is null or otherwise returns If both arguments are integers, and if the comparison is satisfied, expr returns otherwise it returns expr returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers; other- wise returns the result of a lexical comparison (note that and are identical, in that both test for equality). Addition or subtraction of decimal integer-valued arguments. Multiplication, division or remainder of decimal integer-valued arguments producing an integer result. The matching operator compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. expr supports the Basic Regular Expression syntax (see regexp(5)), except that all patterns are ``anchored'' (i.e., begin with and, therefore, is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on fail- ure). Alternatively, the pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. The length of expr. Takes the substring of the first expr, starting at the character specified by the second expr for the length given by the third expr. Returns the position in the first expr which contains a character found in the second expr. Match is a prefix operator equivalent to the infix operator Grouping symbols. Any expression can be placed within parentheses. Parentheses can be nested to a depth of as specified in the header file EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence used in evaluating regular expressions and the behavior of the relational operators when comparing string values. determines the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters, and the characters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C" (see environ(5)). If is set to it enables the UNIX 2003 Standard environment. International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
As a side effect of expression evaluation, expr returns the following exit values: Expression is neither null nor zero. Expression is null or zero. Invalid expression. An error occurred while evaluating the expression. DIAGNOSTICS
Operator or operand errors Arithmetic attempted on a string EXAMPLES
Add 1 to the shell variable For equal to either or just return the last segment of a path name (i.e., Beware of alone as an argument because expr interprets it as the division operator (see below): A better representation of the previous example. The addition of the characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression: Return the number of characters in WARNINGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If is an the command: resembles: as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the operator). The following works: AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
expr(1)