Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract digits at end of string Post 302096866 by matrixmadhan on Monday 20th of November 2006 05:25:14 AM
Old 11-20-2006
how about this,

Code:
echo "abcde444" | sed 's/[a-z]//g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Isolate and Extract a Pattern Substring (Digits Only)

Hi guys, I have a text file report generated from egrepping multiple files. The text files themselves are obtianed after many succesive refinements, so they contain already the desired number, but this is surrounded by unwanted characters, newlines, spaces, it is not always at the start of the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and remove digits (if exist) from end of the string

Hi Experts, Here is what I am trying to do. 1) say I have a file with below strings database1 database2 database3 data10gdb1 data10gdb2 databasewithoutdigit 2) I want to get the below output. (- if there is any digit at the end of the string, I need to remove it) (- Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shail_boy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract digits from a string in unix

Hi all, i have such string stored in a variable var1 = 00000120 i want the o/p var1 = 120 is it possible to have such o/p in ksh/bash ... thanx in advance for the help sonu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

matching 3 digits at the begining and the end of the line

I have a file with hundreds of records and I need to find those records that have three digits at the beginning and the same three digits at the end. $GREP '\(\)\(\)\(\)\3\2\1'I believe this is part of the script but I am not sure how to compare these 3 digits with the 3 digits at the end of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: remove digits from end of string

Hi there, im sure this is really simple but i have some strings like this e1000g123001 e1000g0 nge11101 nge3and i want to create two variables ($DRIVER and $INSTANCE). the first one containing the alpha characters that make up the first part of the string, e.g. e1000g or nge and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep lines with numbers greater than 2 digits at the end of the line

I'm trying to grep lines where the digits at the end of each line are greater than digits. Tried this but it will only allow me to specify 2 digits. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. grep -i '\<\{3,4,5\}\>' file ---------- Post updated at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:41... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract text from STRING to end of line?

Hi I have a very large data file with several hundred columns and millions of lines. The important data is in the last set of columns with variable numbers of tab delimited fields in front of it on each line. Im currently trying sed to get the data out - I want anything beetween :RES and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manchesterpaul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract n-digits from string in perl

Hello, I have a log file with logs such as 01/05/2017 10:23:41 : file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, STATE: 01170255 (mode main how can i use perl to extract the 8-digit number below from the string 01170255 Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2009
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting?

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting or perl? cat file.txt abc_d123_4567.txt A246_B789.txt B123cc099.txt a123_B234-012.txt a13.txt What can I do here? Many thanks. cat file.txt | sed "s/.txt$//" | ........ 4567 789 099 012 13 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingch
11 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)