Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete all folders/files and keep only the last 10 in a folder Post 302096728 by melanie_pfefer on Friday 17th of November 2006 01:52:19 PM
Old 11-17-2006
delete all folders/files and keep only the last 10 in a folder

Hi,

I want to write a script that deletes all folders and keep the last 10 recent folders.

I know the following:

ls -ltr will sort the folders from old to recent.
ls -ltr | awk '{print $9}' will list the folder names (with a blank line at the beginning)
I want to get the 10th folder from the bottom. HOW?
Once I get it, I can run: find . ! -newer <this_object> -exec rm {} \;

Thanks,

PS: Any other suggestion is appreciated Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all the files in folder a which exist in folder b

Hi , I need a script which basically deltes all files in folder a which are alreasy present in folder b say folder a has files abc.txt pqr .txt and b has abc.txt pqr.txt rmr.txt then file abc.txt and pqr.txt from a should be deleted (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy some files from users home folders to my folder

i have users home directories in /home all the users have some files starting with character e and i want to copy all these files in a folder in my (root) home using a script i tried the script for i in m5 do cd m5 cp e1* /home/pc/exam cd .. done but get these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcrana
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files but not folders to a new folder

Hi, I have a sub directory with a number of files and folders. What i want is a subdirectory with just folders and not files for cleanliness sake. So I want to move the files into the new folder but keep the folders in the same place. Move all files (but not folders) to new folder. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files from one folder to many folders

I have a more than 10 K files in a folder. They are accumulated in a period of more than an year (Say from 13th July 2010 to 4th June 2011). I need to perform housekeeping on this. The requirement is to create a folder like 13Jul2010,14July2010,......3June2011,4June2010 and then from the main... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symlink all files from one folder into all found folders

Hi. I have a folder which contains my application. I then have a flexible number of folders in another directory, called “sites”. It looks like this: -Application -- Test.html -- CSS --- Style.css -Sites --Site1 --Site2 I want to symlink all the files in the application folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Spadez
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete other's folders which are in our own folder?

Hi All, I need a solution for the following scenario. I am the owner for the particular folder and I have given 777 permissions for some specific reasons. So others can able to create folders and files. But when I am done with the work, I need to delete the folders which are created by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_thorali
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unzipping a file which has multiple folders and each folder has the files with same name in it

Hi, I have a zipped file a.zip. This has got multiple folders in it say x and y. x contains a.txt and y contains a.txt. Is it possible to unzip this file and have the 2 files extracted and rename them to unique names. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files and folders to another folder

I recently bought Synology server and realised it can run scripts. I would need fairly simple script which moves all files and folders from ARCHIVE folder to WORKING folder. I would also need to maintain folder structure as each of the folders may contain subfolders. How would I go about it as I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ###
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies
LIBMTP_folder_struct(3) 					      libmtp						   LIBMTP_folder_struct(3)

NAME
libmtp - LIBMTP_folder_struct SYNOPSIS
#include <libmtp.h> Data Fields uint32_t folder_id uint32_t parent_id uint32_t storage_id char * name LIBMTP_folder_t * sibling LIBMTP_folder_t * child Detailed Description MTP Folder structure Examples: delfile.c, folders.c, getfile.c, newfolder.c, sendfile.c, and sendtr.c. Field Documentation LIBMTP_folder_t* LIBMTP_folder_struct::child Child folder or NULL if no children Examples: folders.c. Referenced by LIBMTP_destroy_folder_t(), LIBMTP_Find_Folder(), and LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(). uint32_t LIBMTP_folder_struct::folder_id Unique folder ID Examples: folders.c. Referenced by LIBMTP_Find_Folder(), LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(), LIBMTP_new_folder_t(), and LIBMTP_Set_Folder_Name(). char* LIBMTP_folder_struct::name Name of folder Examples: folders.c. Referenced by LIBMTP_destroy_folder_t(), LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(), and LIBMTP_Set_Folder_Name(). uint32_t LIBMTP_folder_struct::parent_id ID of parent folder Referenced by LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(). LIBMTP_folder_t* LIBMTP_folder_struct::sibling Next folder at same level or NULL if no more Examples: folders.c. Referenced by LIBMTP_destroy_folder_t(), LIBMTP_Find_Folder(), and LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(). uint32_t LIBMTP_folder_struct::storage_id ID of storage holding this folder Referenced by LIBMTP_Get_Folder_List_For_Storage(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libmtp from the source code. Version 1.1.3 Sun Feb 17 2013 LIBMTP_folder_struct(3)