Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Alternatives for CLOCK_MONOTONIC Post 302096663 by Perderabo on Friday 17th of November 2006 03:09:22 AM
Old 11-17-2006
Just use setitimer()/getitimer().

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ASP alternatives

I have just found out that a project I have developed in ASP (ultradev) needs to be migrated to a unix server and won't be able to support asp. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what my options are with Unix? I have never worked with or developed for a Unix box before. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sort - Alternatives

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives utilities to rsync

Hi, I am using rsync to copy files and links from one server to other (backup server). The problem with rsync is that it is not copying the files and links in the order which i have mentioned. It is sorting in alphabetical order before it is copying the files and links. I want a utilty that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvenu88
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Metamail Alternatives on Solaris 10

Hi All, We have been trying to Install Metamail on our Solaris 10 server but have failed to do so. We are a bit topo short of time here so are now trying to Explore any Meta Mail alternatives. What we basically want to do is: Server will recieve email, Procmail will recieve the email... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkhanore
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Alternatives for sudo??

I am looking for an alternative for sudo in linux, where i need not type the password. OR is there any other version of 'growisofs', which can be executed under sudo??? As currently 'growisofs' refuses to start under sudo... Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony star
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed -f alternatives?

I have a list of items (control file) that I want to substitute in a text file, and it's BIG. The file has two items, the original, and the new: A B B C D E The file has something like 10,000 entries. So in the oldfile.txt, I'd like to basically make all these expression matched... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoblink
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH alternatives

Hi, I am using SSH to execute unix commands on remote machines. But, SSH will be diabled soon and I am looking for other alternatives to execute remote scripts/commands, without SSH . any suggestions or workarounds with out SSH for remote program executions ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives to Expect

Are there any other alternatives to using Expect script? Can functionality provided by Expect be achieved by any other scripting language? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command alternatives

Hi is there an alternative other than the find command to get the size of files which are 10 days older ? I already use a script with find command find . -mtime +10. However would want to have an alternative script to find the size of files which are over 10 days. Let me know if you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Builtin alternatives for several commands?

I'm adapting a BASH script to run with an absolute minimal amounts of Cygwin64 files so colleagues using Windows can use it without installing Cygwin. I am down to the following in /bin only (replacing cut with parameter substitution eliminated all needed things in /etc) bash.exe cygattr-1.dll... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies
getitimer(2)							System Calls Manual						      getitimer(2)

NAME
getitimer, setitimer - Returns or sets the value of interval timers SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/time.h> int getitimer( int which, struct itimerval *value) ; int setitimer( int which, const struct itimerval *value, struct itimerval *ovalue) ; The following definition of the setitimer() function does not conform to current standards and is supported only for backward compatibil- ity: int setitimer( int which, struct itimerval *value, struct itimerval *ovalue) ; STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: getitimer(), setitimer(): XSH4.2 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Identifies the interval timer. This parameter may be expressed as one of three symbolic constants: ITIMER_REAL, ITIMER_VIRTUAL, and ITIMER_PROF. Points to an itimerval structure whose members specify a timer interval and the time left to the end of the interval. Points to an itimerval structure whose members specify a current timer interval and the time left to the end of the interval. DESCRIPTION
The getitimer() function returns the current value for the timer specified by the which parameter in the structure pointed to by the value parameter. The setitimer() function sets the timer specified by which to the specified value (returning the previous value of the timer if ovalue is nonzero). A timer value is defined by the itimerval structure: struct itimerval { struct timeval it_interval; struct timeval it_value; }; If the it_value field is nonzero, it indicates the time to the next timer expiration. If the it_interval field is nonzero, it specifies a value to be used in reloading it_value when the timer expires. Setting it_value to 0 (zero) disables a timer. Setting it_interval to 0 causes a timer to be disabled after its next expiration (assuming it_value is nonzero). Time values smaller than the resolution of the system clock are rounded up to this resolution. The system provides each process with three interval timers, defined in the sys/time.h header file: Decrements in real time. A SIGALRM signal is delivered when this timer expires. Decrements in process virtual time. It runs only when the process is executing. A SIGVTALRM signal is delivered when it expires. Decrements both in process virtual time and when the system is running on behalf of the process. It is designed to be used by interpreters in statistically profiling the execution of interpreted programs. Each time the ITIMER_PROF timer expires, the SIGPROF signal is delivered. Because this signal may interrupt in-progress system calls, programs using this timer must be prepared to restart interrupted system calls. NOTES
The following information applies only to the backward-compatible versions of the getitimer() and setitimer() functions. Three macros for manipulating time values are defined in the sys/time.h header file. The timerclear() macro sets a time value to zero, the timerisset() macro tests if a time value is nonzero, and the timercmp() macro compares two time values. Beware that the comparisons >= and <= do not work with the timercmp() macro. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the value 0 (zero) is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setitimer() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: [Tru64 UNIX] The value parameter specified a bad address. The value parameter specified a time that was too large to be handled, or was a negative time value, or the which value is not defined. The getitimer() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: [Tru64 UNIX] The value parameter specified a bad address. The which value is not defined. [Tru64 UNIX] The value parameter specified a time that was too large to be handled. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: gettimeofday(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off getitimer(2)