Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option Post 302096468 by Perderabo on Thursday 16th of November 2006 12:30:29 AM
Old 11-16-2006
It recognizes 30000 but fails with 30001 with that clueless error message about 30001 being "non-numeric". Traditionally Unix limited pid's to 30000 so in the old days this would be a reasonable limit (but they need to work on that error message). But on Solaris 10 limits.h says the largest PID is 999999. I believe that Sun has indeed cranked up the max pid and thus there is, at this point, a bug in ps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty: : Invalid argument

Hello Everyone; I have a script that is throwing the following message: stty: : Invalid argument The line that gives the message is the following, sailormoon$ scp home/voice.xml newwave@silvermoon:/newwave/config/radius stty: : Invalid argument voice.xml | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-numeric argument

quick question, I am trying to run this simple equation expr 2048 / 2.354 but get a "expr: non-numeric argument" error when ever its run. I believe it may be caused by the decimal point but I do not know how to remedy it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

msgrcv : Invalid argument

Hi All, Please guide me how to get rid : msgrcv : Invalid argument. I am using message queues: msgsnd and msgrcv, I am able to send through msgsnd and receive through msgrcv, but at times i get the belo error. msgrcv : Invalid argument. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: answers
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Invalid Argument and glassfish

I tried to install glassfish on Solaris 10 and it worked fine on other instances. I got the below message bash-3.00# ./sjsas-9_1_01-solaris-sparc.bin -console bash: ./sjsas-9_1_01-solaris-sparc.bin: Invalid argument I logged on as root and the file has execute permission. So strange. Do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrew2008
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

sendto invalid argument

Hi I lost a lot of time in understanding the message "sendto Invalid argument" when I execute the following code. This code is a simple UDP sender improved with some reliability feature. My goal is to send a file. I've reported only the code which may be useful. Can anyone help me? Thank you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First argument is numeric or not

Hi everyone, I want my script to check if the first argument has only numbers or not. Im not sure what im doing wrong. This is how it looks like: if *") ] then echo 'The first arguement should only be in numeric' 1>&2 exit 1 else exit 0 fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkhider
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

invalid argument in semctl()

When I am using the function semctl() it is giving me error as the INVALID ARGUMENT. Can any body give me the possible reasons??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asimibm
2 Replies

9. Programming

SIOCSARP: Invalid Argument.

Hello everybody, I've been programming an alternative to linux's standard 'arp' program. I can delete arp entries (SIOCDARP), get arp entries (SIOCGARP), but i'm having troubles setting entries with ioctl. I can't set any PERM, USETRAILERS, or COM address. It only adds PUB entries and i don't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

top -l 1 invalid option.

Hi, I am using below command to get the High CPU Utilization. top -l 1| awk ‘/CPU usage/ {print $12, $13}’ I am getting below error. ksh: 1: parameter not set top: illegal option -- l Usage: top Usage: awk ... Could you please suggest the appropriate solution. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahab
3 Replies
PRLIMIT(1)							   User Commands							PRLIMIT(1)

NAME
prlimit - get and set process resource limits SYNOPSIS
prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] [--pid PID] prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
Given a process ID and one or more resources, prlimit tries to retrieve and/or modify the limits. When command is given, prlimit will run this command with the given arguments. The limits parameter is composed of a soft and a hard value, separated by a colon (:), in order to modify the existing values. If no lim- its are given, prlimit will display the current values. If one of the values is not given, then the existing one will be used. To specify the unlimited or infinity limit (RLIM_INFINITY), the -1 or 'unlimited' string can be passed. Because of the nature of limits, the soft limit must be lower or equal to the high limit (also called the ceiling). To see all available resource limits, refer to the RESOURCE OPTIONS section. soft:hard Specify both limits. soft: Specify only the soft limit. :hard Specify only the hard limit. value Specify both limits to the same value. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. -p, --pid Specify the process id; if none is given, the running process will be used. --raw Use the raw output format. --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RESOURCE OPTIONS
-c, --core[=limits] Maximum size of a core file. -d, --data[=limits] Maximum data size. -e, --nice[=limits] Maximum nice priority allowed to raise. -f, --fsize[=limits] Maximum file size. -i, --sigpending[=limits] Maximum number of pending signals. -l, --memlock[=limits] Maximum locked-in-memory address space. -m, --rss[=limits] Maximum Resident Set Size (RSS). -n, --nofile[=limits] Maximum number of open files. -q, --msgqueue[=limits] Maximum number of bytes in POSIX message queues. -r, --rtprio[=limits] Maximum real-time priority. -s, --stack[=limits] Maximum size of the stack. -t, --cpu[=limits] CPU time, in seconds. -u, --nproc[=limits] Maximum number of processes. -v, --as[=limits] Address space limit. -x, --locks[=limits] Maximum number of file locks held. -y, --rttime[=limits] Timeout for real-time tasks. EXAMPLES
prlimit --pid 13134 Display limit values for all current resources. prlimit --pid 13134 --rss --nofile=1024:4095 Display the limits of the RSS, and set the soft and hard limits for the number of open files to 1024 and 4095, respectively. prlimit --pid 13134 --nproc=512: Modify only the soft limit for the number of processes. prlimit --pid $$ --nproc=unlimited Set for the current process both the soft and ceiling values for the number of processes to unlimited. prlimit --cpu=10 sort -u hugefile Set both the soft and hard CPU time limit to ten seconds and run 'sort'. SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), prlimit(2) NOTES
The prlimit system call is supported since Linux 2.6.36, older kernels will break this program. AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> - In memory of Dennis M. Ritchie. AVAILABILITY
The prlimit command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 PRLIMIT(1)