Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Array
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String Array Post 302096397 by tmarikle on Wednesday 15th of November 2006 11:07:03 AM
Old 11-15-2006
Here's my favorite way of doing this, similar to justsam but without piping $str through tr (UUOtr Smilie )

Code:
str="name1, name2, name3, "

typeset IFS=' ,'
for i in $str
do
    echo $i$i                                                                                                                                                       
done

This User Gave Thanks to tmarikle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string to array

Hi Experts, I'm new to Shell Scripting world and need a little help from you "Scripting Gurus". I want to convert a string (entered by a user) to array in csh. I want something like this: echo "Enter the Numbers: " set num = $< Suppose, user enters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 This... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert array into the string

Hi I have a line/string as follows: A=" 3498 NORDEA - INDX LINKED NORY" which was converted into an array of characters: p321$ echo "${ARR}" 3 4 9 8 N O R D E A - I N D X L I N K E D N O R Y When I am trying print this array there are blank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

3. Programming

String Array in java

Hi , I wonder how I can set up an String array in java. I need the array so I can store different items per line so each item will be like one record. I tried something like : String x = new String; but when it comes to storing the data and retrieve the is when I struggle. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell string array

Hi all, I want to create an array variable in shell, for example: #!/bin/sh name="foo" name="bar" name="baz" But above code didn't work, I also tried with: name=(foo bar baz) and set -A name foo bar baz but none of these worked. Another question is how to know the shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use string in array name?

Hi, I'm the beginner in bash scripting and I just want to create loop, which will create a few tables with string in name, and each time i try to do this in the following way, I receive: a=1; while do echo "Plik a=$a" for m in {1..4} do echo "Plik m=$m" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterqu
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split a string into array?

value=malayalam # i need to store the value in an array by splitting the character #the output i need is m a l a y a l a m Please use CODE tags for output data as well as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split the string value to an array?

Test1.txt Tom is hot Test.sh filename="/directory/Test1.txt" set - A store while IFS= read value do awk '{split($value,store," ")}' done < "$filename" echo ${#sore} From the code in the executing file, I would like each... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
8 Replies
LINK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   LINK(2)

NAME
link - make a hard link to a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int link(const char *name1, const char *name2) DESCRIPTION
A hard link to name1 is created; the link has the name name2. Name1 must exist. With hard links, both name1 and name2 must be in the same file system. Name1 must not be a directory. Both the old and the new link share equal access and rights to the underlying object. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Link will fail and no link will be created if one or more of the following are true: [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A path name exceeds PATH_MAX characters. [ENOENT] A component of either path prefix does not exist. [EACCES] A component of either path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] The requested link requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating one of the pathnames. (Minix-vmd) [ENOENT] The file named by name1 does not exist. [EEXIST] The link named by name2 does exist. [EPERM] The file named by name1 is a directory and the effective user ID is not super-user. [EXDEV] The link named by name2 and the file named by name1 are on different file systems. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new link is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system to make the directory entry. [EROFS] The requested link requires writing in a directory on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] One of the pathnames specified is outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
symlink(2), unlink(2). 4th Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 LINK(2)