Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk space error.
Operating Systems AIX Disk space error. Post 302096379 by MizzGail on Wednesday 15th of November 2006 09:50:14 AM
Old 11-15-2006
Are you using any type of fs manager that pools your data and then splits it into your mount points?

ie.. on our old digital platform we used advfs which pooled say 90gb but we could allocate 30gb across 3 mount points.
We found a reporting bug.. in that if one of the file systems reached 100%, even after cleaning up data, the df command did not report the free space.

Its possible that the native OS could have a similar reporting bug.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Out of disk space?

Hi I'm trying to install gcc and the installation program tells me that I'm out of disk space! I have just installed the os (using the default settings for partitions and sizes) and have only installed apache on the machine. Can it really be out of disk space already? How do I check how much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hi experts i am new in unix and informix and would like to ask 2 questions 1) my server shows when using df -k fs 1024-block used available /usr 10079072 3668670 6381144 does this mean i have 10GB, and used up 3.7GB and available 6.3GB ??? is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Disk Space

Hi Experts. I had 100% disk full , even though i have removed 2 GB space still dbf command shows 100%. How to rectify that. Appreciate your prompt help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: test10002
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

disk space

when i check /export directory of my machine gets filled up (85%) i removed some old logs. but after cleaning df -k command still shows that /export is still 85% full. Is there a way to force df to reflect actual free space without rebooting? My machine is a production one and can't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing disk space script in AIX

#!/bin/ksh for AIX used=0 mount=${1:-"/mountpoint"} threshold=${2:-80} #message="hello" #SUBJECT="Disk Space Alert" #EMAIL="xyz@abcinc.com" used=`df -k $mount | grep % | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/%//g'` #echo "Free Space available under \"$mount\" is `expr 100 - $used`%.\n">$message ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshw61
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Disk Space

Hi, I am installing TAM-eb components in solaris V10.o, unfortunately am running out of space. when I -df i come across a lot of directories. i would like to know whether there is any way to free some disk space. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ichwaiznicht
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much disk space?

Hi, I have this : uname -a Linux servername 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 23 15:57:10 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux df -k Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupied Disponible Capacity Monted on /u01/applis 10321208 3190160 6606760 33% /applis Does it mean... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Subject: value out of range error on a disk with free 40 GB space

Hi, I installed RHEL 6.0 OS on vmware with CREATE CUSTOM LAYOUT option. And I gave the space to different mount points as mentioned below: / 15360MB /boot 200MB /tmp 3072 MB swap 1024 MB fdisk -cul command shows the disk size as 64.4 GB. But when I try to create partion of 10 GB with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GAURAV SRIVASTA
1 Replies
xfs_growfs(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                xfs_growfs(8)

NAME
xfs_growfs, xfs_info - expand an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_growfs [ -dilnrxV ] [ -D size ] [ -e rtextsize ] [ -L size ] [ -m maxpct ] [ -t mtab ] [ -R size ] mount-point xfs_info [ -t mtab ] mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_growfs expands an existing XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be grown (see mount(8)). The existing contents of the filesystem are undisturbed, and the added space becomes available for additional file storage. xfs_info is equivalent to invoking xfs_growfs with the -n option (see discussion below). OPTIONS
-d | -D size Specifies that the data section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -D size option is given, the data section is grown to that size, otherwise the data section is grown to the largest size possible with the -d option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. -e Allows the real-time extent size to be specified. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -r extsize=nnnn. -i The new log is an internal log (inside the data section). [NOTE: This option is not implemented] -l | -L size Specifies that the log section of the filesystem should be grown, shrunk, or moved. If the -L size option is given, the log section is changed to be that size, if possible. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The size of an internal log must be smaller than the size of an allocation group (this value is printed at mkfs(8) time). If neither -i nor -x is given with -l, the log contin- ues to be internal or external as it was before. [NOTE: These options are not implemented] -m Specify a new value for the maximum percentage of space in the filesystem that can be allocated as inodes. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -i maxpct=nn. -n Specifies that no change to the filesystem is to be made. The filesystem geometry is printed, and argument checking is performed, but no growth occurs. -r | -R size Specifies that the real-time section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -R size option is given, the real-time section is grown to that size, otherwise the real-time section is grown to the largest size possible with the -r option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The filesystem does not need to have contained a real-time section before the xfs_growfs operation. -t Specifies an alternate mount table file (default is /proc/mounts if it exists, else /etc/mtab). This is used when working with filesystems mounted without writing to /etc/mtab file - refer to mount(8) for further details. -V Prints the version number and exits. The mount-point argument is not required with -V. xfs_growfs is most often used in conjunction with logical volumes (see md(4) and lvm(8) on Linux). However, it can also be used on a regu- lar disk partition, for example if a partition has been enlarged while retaining the same starting block. PRACTICAL USE
Filesystems normally occupy all of the space on the device where they reside. In order to grow a filesystem, it is necessary to provide added space for it to occupy. Therefore there must be at least one spare new disk partition available. Adding the space is often done through the use of a logical volume manager. SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), md(4), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_growfs(8)