Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: utility of getline here?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers utility of getline here? Post 302095922 by vgersh99 on Sunday 12th of November 2006 12:38:18 PM
Old 11-12-2006
Pls don't multi-post - threads merged.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getline with a unique

I have an inputfile that I trying to awk with a getline(Solaris v8 ksh). However I need to have the results be a unique. Is there a comparable command within awk to return a unique result? Or can you break out of the awk to add a uniq. I am looking for something more complex then a pipe... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
6 Replies

2. Programming

'getline' questions

I have a C program I've written that includes a 'getline' call that is used to read a line at a time from a file and process the information in each line. A potential problem comes up since I don't know the maximum length of each line; right now I'm using a constant of 256, but that might not be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline

How do you make the getline function return to the original line? The example below should make it clear where I am currently going wrong. Thanks AWK SCRIPT: ------------- awk -F '-' '{ tmpLine = "EMPTY" print "CURRENT LINE :"$0 getline tmpLine print "NEXT LINE :"tmpLine }'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethsays
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

errors while using getline

i wrote following script to test getline BEGIN{ while ( "who" | getline > 0) nr++ print nr } when i run this script as awk -f scriptname (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getline value to pattern

BEGIN { system("clear") blank = " " printf("Please enter your name or emp# : > ") getline < "/dev/tty" printf(">>>>> %s",$1) } /$1/ {.......... I would like for the customer to enter name or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morph797
3 Replies

7. Programming

getline()

I can not get 'getline()' to compile. I have tried. string curLine; //= compiler error char* curLine; //=compiler error char curLine; //=compiler error Every example I see uses a string as a getline(); parameter. It does not work for me on Fedora14 with gcc-c++. Thank you so much. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk getline

I'm running the script below and get the output below against a file with lineA=aaa lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I get output: lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I need the output to be: lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd cat filename | nawk '/lineA=aaa/ { getline; do { getline (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getline from another file

Here is I want to do: find lines in file filteredtrace.txt which is not continued as a multiply of 4 and strip them from file original_trace_framno. problem is awk used the ' symbol so pipe of getline has to use the " symbol while agument of sed has to use the " symbol, it doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzq420241
8 Replies

10. Programming

getline() and fclose()

Hi All, When I do man getline on my Linux system (in BASH), I see an example C code where a file is being read using getline() function. Now, my question is why there is no fclose() to close the open file pointer? People who don't have a Linux system, this is the code that I am referring... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies
XInitThreads(3) 						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						   XInitThreads(3)

NAME
XInitThreads, XLockDisplay, XUnlockDisplay - multi-threading support SYNTAX
Status XInitThreads(void); void XLockDisplay(Display *display); void XUnlockDisplay(Display *display); ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. DESCRIPTION
The XInitThreads function initializes Xlib support for concurrent threads. This function must be the first Xlib function a multi-threaded program calls, and it must complete before any other Xlib call is made. This function returns a nonzero status if initialization was suc- cessful; otherwise, it returns zero. On systems that do not support threads, this function always returns zero. It is only necessary to call this function if multiple threads might use Xlib concurrently. If all calls to Xlib functions are protected by some other access mechanism (for example, a mutual exclusion lock in a toolkit or through explicit client programming), Xlib thread ini- tialization is not required. It is recommended that single-threaded programs not call this function. The XLockDisplay function locks out all other threads from using the specified display. Other threads attempting to use the display will block until the display is unlocked by this thread. Nested calls to XLockDisplay work correctly; the display will not actually be unlocked until XUnlockDisplay has been called the same number of times as XLockDisplay. This function has no effect unless Xlib was successfully initialized for threads using XInitThreads. The XUnlockDisplay function allows other threads to use the specified display again. Any threads that have blocked on the display are allowed to continue. Nested locking works correctly; if XLockDisplay has been called multiple times by a thread, then XUnlockDisplay must be called an equal number of times before the display is actually unlocked. This function has no effect unless Xlib was successfully ini- tialized for threads using XInitThreads. SEE ALSO
Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.3.2 XInitThreads(3)