Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find a data from several .tar,.gz files Post 302095766 by Yogesh Sawant on Friday 10th of November 2006 12:56:14 AM
Old 11-10-2006
the -t or --list option of tar command shows list of files present withing given tar file. this option will help you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Find files older than x days and create a consolidated single tar file.

Hello, I need help in finding files older than x days and creating a single consolidated tar file combining them. Can anyone please provide me a script? Thanks, Dawn (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dawn Bosch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and tar 700 files

i have some 700 files of the same pattern differing only in their datestamp. below some of the files. i want to tar them all into one tar file.but the below normal command is telling me "arg list too long" tar -cvf Archive1.tar CurrentCollectorMeterReadBackup* also i tried the below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find most recent files in dirs and tar them up?

Hey all.. This should be simple but stoopid here can't get head around it! I have many directories, say 100 each with many files inside. I need a script to traverse through the dirs, find most recent file in each dir and add it to a tar file. I can find the files with something like for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobdung
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files older than and containing then tar.

I'm tring to: find files recursively older than x days that contain dat or DAT then tar them I can find the files older than 90 days containing dat with this: find . -mtime +90 -type f -name "*dat*" -exec tar -cvvfp /some/path/some.tar {} \; but how do I do it case insensitive? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
3 Replies

6. Programming

How to find the matching data b/w 2 files in perl?

Hi friends,, i have find the matching data between 2files. My file1 have a data like rs3001336 rs3984736 rs2840532 File2 have a data like rs3736330 1 2359237 A G 0.28 1.099 0.010 rs2840532 1 2359977 G A 0.363 0.3373 1.123 rs3001336 1 2365193 G A 0.0812 0.07319 1.12 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshraj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the matching data b/w 2 files in perl?

Hi friends,, i have find the matching data between 2files. My file1 have a data like rs3001336 rs3984736 rs2840532 File2 have a data like rs3736330 1 2359237 A G 0.28 1.099 0.010 rs2840532 1 2359977 G A 0.363 0.3373 1.123 rs3001336 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshraj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find *.tar files under all subdirectories

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting... I've a situation like to find *.tar files under all subdirectories in "/home/abcd" and i used the below, find /opt/lhapp ! -name "temp" | more the above works fine.. Now don't need search few direcotries like "/home/abcd/aaaa",... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files count mismatch when used with Tar with find

Hi I have used the below steps and found some discrepancies step 1 : find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | wc -l = 13519 ( total files ) ( the size of this files is appx : 10GB ) step 2: find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | xargs tar zcvf Archieve_7.tar.gz step... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
7 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)