Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users cannot determine current directory Post 302095540 by axes on Wednesday 8th of November 2006 03:12:52 AM
Old 11-08-2006
cannot determine current directory

Hi,
when I execute some simple commands on my solaris system, I am getting the following warning message:

Could anybody tell me what could be the reason

Ex:- If I give the command,
which ls
Warning: cannot determine current directory
/usr/bin/ls

Thanks in advance
axes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Easily Determine If A File Has been Added to a Directory

I am uploading files that need to be processed prior to uploading. I will put the files in a directory. My question is how can I write an easy process to kick off a script once a file has been added? Is there an easy way to determine if a file has been added to a directory? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodmis
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How Can I Easily Determine If A File Has been Added to a Directory

I am uploading files that need to be processed prior to uploading. I will put the files in a directory. My question is how can I write an easy process to kick off a script once a file has been added? Is there an easy way to determine if a file has been added to a directory? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Determine directory name

Hi there, I wonder if it is possible the determine a name of a directory which is different on various hosts. Let me try to explain. I have the directory /tmp/dir1/dir2/canchangedir. This directory name is different on various hosts. I need to use the directory name, independent from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine FULL name of current script

Hi everyone, Is there a slick way to determine the FULL name of a script that is running? The variable ${0} just gives the relative path name. I guess I could just do the following: FULL_SCRIPT_NAME=${PWD}${0}Although that's pretty simple is there another way that I am missing? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to determine if there's a file in directory!

Hi All, I'm just wondering how can i determined if there's a file in directory and put it in a logs? dir="/home/test/" Please advise, Thanks, Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

current directory in awk

Hello, I want to use the string with the current directory in my awk command. I tried: 'pwd=system("pwd")' but it doesn't work. can please help somebody? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current working directory

Hi all, How do I print the name of my current working directory only to screen? Not pwd! For example, if I was in /home/work I am looking for 'work' only (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjam
4 Replies
sccs-help(1)                                                       User Commands                                                      sccs-help(1)

NAME
sccs-help, help - ask for help regarding SCCS error or warning messages SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/help [argument...] DESCRIPTION
The help utility retrieves information to further explain errors messages and warnings from SCCS commands. It also provides some informa- tion about SCCS command usage. If no arguments are given, help prompts for one. An argument may be a message number (which normally appears in parentheses following each SCCS error or warning message), or an SCCS com- mand name. help responds with an explanation of the message or a usage line for the command. When all else fails, try `/usr/ccs/bin/help stuck'. FILES
/usr/lib/help directory containing files of message text ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-admin(1), sccs-cdc(1), sccs-comb(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), sccs-rmdel(1), sccs-sact(1), sccs- sccsdiff(1), sccs-unget(1), sccs-val(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 sccs-help(1)