Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mysterious Server Shutdown
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Mysterious Server Shutdown Post 302095462 by tonlu on Tuesday 7th of November 2006 10:22:05 AM
Old 11-07-2006
Some time ago I expreienced the same problem.

The problem was that I did't have any real console connected to the machine. Isted I used the hyperterm in windows and connected via the serial port.
After I left this connection to my unixserver I just klicked the (X) box up in the right corner of the hyperterm window. When I did the the machine halted but first it seemed like it was totaly hanged. This happend 3-4 times until I figured out what was wrong.

The fix was to just type 'go' and the machine came up in runlevel 3 again.
Nothing was in the messages...
If this is your problem sun have a patch for this. Or you can comment out
KEYBOARD_ABORT=alternate in /etc/default/kbd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server shutdown Troubleshooting

SCO Unixware 7.1.1 Hi friends, At 11:30pm last night mymain Unix Server hung or rebooted (Unaware which one), and was bot available for 10 minutes. Is there a log file somewhere which will tell me what happened ? I have looked ad /var/adm/syslog, but cannot make head nor tail of it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown a unix server

Hi, how to shutdown a unix machine ? We are on SunOS server15.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. AIX

server is getting shutdown

Hi Guys, Please help in this...when we start HACMP services ..server is getting shutdon. Error mesg from cluster.log. Apr 14 08:43:27 bascop17 snmpd: NOTICE: SMUX trap: (0 0) (127.0.0.1+46302+1) Apr 14 08:43:33 bascop17 topsvcs: (Recorded using libct_ffdc.a cv 2):::Error ID:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4 U5 - Server immediate shutdown

Dear all, My server has shutdown frequently. It is AMD64, OS is RHEL 4 U5. I've seen the system log, before the shutdown occured: Jul 29 04:28:56 localhost kernel: EDAC k8 MC0: general bus error: participating processor(local node response), time-out(no timeout) memory transaction... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to shutdown client machine from the server

I have a unix server through which some ten client machines are connected. I want to shutdown/restart all the machine from the server through the shell script during the particular time of the day. I welcome your suggestions. Thanks in advance. With regards Victor (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown and reboot unix server

Hi, please could someone advise the best command to shutdown and then for it to reboot back online again. Note: I shall be doing this from a telent session. regards venhart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Server Shutdown Problem

I have a sparc T1 server (I know its old) running Solaris 8, which we use for testing. It has been very slow in response- prompt takes couple of minutes to come up, so I decided to reboot the server but I can reboot it, it is giving following errors when I try to shutdown it down. root@deva:/#... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Startup and shutdown a server

Are rc scripts executed serially or all at the same time. Is there a way to see this happen? A log file or the syslogd? This is Solaris 10. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown the Linux server if no one is using the server

Hi All, I want to shutdown the server if no one is actualy using it. Its a linux server. I thought of sending a msg on users terminal for those who all are logged in and expecting a input from them. If they will reply system should not get shutdown else it should not. Can any one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sadhana
2 Replies

10. AIX

Server Shutdown

Hi, is it possible to find out ip address of user who has shutdown or rebooted the server , I have used the command errpt -a , in that it is showing server rebooted but it is not showing ip address who has shutdown the serve, even I have used command last reboot. Please suggest. Regards, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
asadmin-shutdown(1AS)						   User Commands					     asadmin-shutdown(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-shutdown, shutdown - brings down the administration server SYNOPSIS
shutdown [--user admin_user][--password admin_password][--host localhost] [--port 4848][--passwordfile filename][--secure|-s] shutdown gracefully brings down the administration server and all the running instances. You must manually start the administration server to bring it up again. OPTIONS
--user administrative user associated for the instance. --password administrative password corresponding to the administrative user. --host host name of the machine hosting the administrative instance. --port administrative port number associated with the administrative host. --passwordfile file containing passwords appropriate for the command (e.g., administrative instance). --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the administrative instance. Example 1: Using the shutdown command asadmin> shutdown --user admin --password adminadmin --host bluestar --port 4848 Waiting for admin server to shutdown... Admin server has been shutdown EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command INTERFACE EQUIVALENT
Administration Server page asadmin-start-instance(1AS), asadmin-stop-instance(1AS), asadmin-restart-instance(1AS)asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-start-appserv(1AS), asadmin-stop-appserv(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-shutdown(1AS)