Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with count
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with count Post 302095294 by uni_ajay_r on Monday 6th of November 2006 05:42:42 AM
Old 11-06-2006
problem with count

Hi,
consider this file "master" which contains data as
11:skjs:24:asd2
1:skdfjk:23:sfdf
12:su:25:jkh5
13:gre:22:kljl7
14:sai:34:kjg7

I am trying to enter data into the file "master"

i want to count the number of times 11 is present in the file "master" that to in the first filed itself.
the delimetter is ":"

i am using the command:

grep -c 11 master
answer) 1

grep -c 1 master
answer) 5.
but 5 is not the answer as 1 occurs only once in the 2nd row.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word count problem

I have a text file that has 5719 rows when I open it up in a text editor. When I do a wc -l in Unix however, it says that I have 5718 rows. What could be causing this difference? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmith001
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex file count problem

Hi all! I have a question regarding possibilities to do line counts. SEARCH_VAR=TEX rsh $REM_HOST -l $REM_USER "cd $REM_DIR; ls *$SEARCH_VAR* 2> /dev/null" | sort -n | awk 'BEGIN { FS = "-" } ; { print $1"\t"$0 }' Will produce an output on the screen like this: 483 483-SOME-TEXT-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbergstrom74
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem count with wc-l command

Hi All, I'm trying to count how many line in my *.txt file. My *.txt file has 1937 lines. The problem is : when I use wc -l command the result is 1936. Again, I did some test. I create a new file with 100 lines with text editor (Notepad ++, Ultra edit). And when I count it again with wc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunimi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record count problem using sed command

Hi, I have a script which removes 2 header records and 1 trailer record in a list of files. The commands doing the actions are sed '1,2d' $file > tempfile1.dat sed '$d' < tempfile1.dat > $output.txt Its working fine for all records except a file having size=1445509814 and number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayanbiswas
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Count Pattern problem.

I want to keep a count of a all the records processed in a input file. The input file would have a lot of data containing various information. Lets say I make a pattern that only prints out data with the amount $37.57. How would I go about keeping track of how many $37.57 appears? I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code- word count problem

Hi, I am having .csv files contains some row - Info: Value of field name 'SecurityExchange' is not supported ","Original Order Tuple Please see the below perl code carefully- /Info: (+),Original (\w+) Tuple/ and do { ($category, $type) = ($1, $2); if($type eq 'Execution')... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop renaming files w/ a count problem

:wall: Hello there, basically in my program where im stuck at is when it comes to rename the files in a loop. - the program counts the number of files w a given name (works!) - and then if the number of files is greater or equal to the MAX_VERSIONS (numbers of files allowed w the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thurft
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process count problem in script

Hi, I am trying to make a script which should execute if the same is not getting executed already. To implement this check, I wrote a fragment of code as below $ cat abc.sh #!/bin/bash check=0 #grepping "sh -x abc.sh" because if i check only for "abc.sh" and the file is open in say... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem to count number of words from file

hi every one i have written this simple shell for counting number of word that user need to find from file but i have get several error when run it. can someone tell me the problem ? echo "Enter the file name" read file echo "enter word" read word for i in \`cat $file` do if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimafire
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi, I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output Here is how my file looks like 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.2.1 1.1.2.2 1.1.3.1 1.1.3.2 1.1.3.3 1.1.3.4 So what I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
2 Replies
MDM-RUN(1)							   User Commands							MDM-RUN(1)

NAME
mdm-run - run a command in parallel with mdm-master SYNOPSIS
mdm-run command mdm-sync command DESCRIPTION
mdm-run annotates command as a candidate for parallel execution. If an mdm-master process is present (i.e., the environment variable MDM_CMD_SOCK is defined), mdm-run submits command to the mdm-master, and it exits when the master issues the command to an mdm-slave process (which may be connected to another terminal) for execution. mdm-sync runs command in place, but it coordinates with mdm-master to ensure that executing command does not interfere with commands that are currently executing in parallel. If there is no mdm-master process present (i.e., the environment variable MDM_CMD_SOCK is not defined), both mdm-run and mdm-sync simply run command as if you entered command all by itself. These programs are a part of the Middleman System (mdm). OPTIONS
Neither mdm-run nor mdm-sync accepts any options. EXIT STATUS
If there is no mdm-master process present, the exit status of mdm-run is the exit status of command. If an mdm-master process is present, the exit status is 0 if and only if command is successfully issued to an mdm-slave process for execution. The exit status of mdm-sync is always the exit status of command. ENVIRONMENT
The mdm system uses the following environment variable for internal communication, and thus you should not try to set them yourself. MDM_CMD_SOCK mdm-run uses this environment variable to decide whether a mdm-master process is present. EXAMPLE
See mdm.screen(1) for an example use of mdm-run. SEE ALSO
mdm.screen(1) Linux 2009-03-06 MDM-RUN(1)