Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot messages
Operating Systems Linux boot messages Post 302095137 by BOFH on Friday 3rd of November 2006 02:07:16 PM
Old 11-03-2006
/var/log/dmesg

In fact I've added the output of dmesg to my Sun boxes when they boot so they have the same info. I thought it's a pretty good idea.

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot messages - how to eliminate them

Anyone would know how to get rid off a message that comes up during a boot-up on Solaris? It says that the clusters for this software are not installed. I deleted the software because it was crashing some other stuff but it did not get rid off all the stuff. Yes, I am coming from windows and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: softarch
2 Replies

2. Solaris

boot messages

(Solaris 8, 4 cpu's) When I look at my boot messages (/var/adm/messages or dmesg) I noticed the following: Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 0 impl 0x11 ver 0xa0 clock 450 MHz) Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu1: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 1 impl 0x11 ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Boot Problems, random messages [/etc/rcS: /etc/dfs/sharetab: cannot create]

Hello All, I have all of a sudden developed issues with booting up one of my Solaris Servers. Upon a routine reboot, I was faced with the following errors: Feb 1 07:56:44 sco1-au-tci scsi: WARNING: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd0): Feb 1 07:56:44 sco1-au-tci Error for Command: read(10)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjtech
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

Boot Messages changed after mondorestore

Hello All, I backed up my RHEL 4 as an image. Then I restored the image (by mondorestore) on my machine. Everything went fine but I dont get the normal boot sequence as it used to come when I freshly installed RHEL4. The messages that are shown when the system boots are something like- "... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
13 Replies

7. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Grub.conf kernel field boot messages verbosity configuration

I am trying to understand what are the differences of boot messages verbosity levels for the kernel field in grub.conf From my research, there appear to be three levels: quiet verbose debug I have also found documents that specify removing quiet from the kernel field. If this is done, is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thaebich
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Customized boot log messages

Hi all Many years ago, I found online this script that was incredibly funny and I had blogged it Unfortunately because of my poor record-keeping, I seem to have lost the shell script Would somebody be kind enough to tell me how to replicate this? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
0 Replies
RBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 RBOOTD(8)

NAME
rbootd -- HP remote boot server SYNOPSIS
rbootd [-ad] [-i interface] [config_file] DESCRIPTION
The rbootd utility services boot requests from Hewlett-Packard workstations over a local area network. All boot files must reside in the boot file directory; further, if a client supplies path information in its boot request, it will be silently stripped away before processing. By default, rbootd only responds to requests from machines listed in its configuration file. If the client doesn't supply a file name (HP700 series machines don't), the first one listed for this machine will be supplied. The options are as follows: -a Respond to boot requests from any machine. The configuration file is ignored if this option is specified. -d Run rbootd in debug mode. Packets sent and received are displayed to the terminal. -i interface Service boot requests on specified interface. If unspecified, rbootd searches the system interface list for the lowest numbered, configured ``up'' interface (excluding loopback). Ties are broken by choosing the earliest match. Specifying config_file on the command line causes rbootd to use a different configuration file from the default. The configuration file is a text file where each line describes a particular machine. A line must start with a machine's Ethernet address followed by an optional list of boot file names. An Ethernet address is specified in hexadecimal with each of its six octets separated by a colon. The boot file names come from the boot file directory. The ethernet address and boot file(s) must be separated by white-space and/or comma characters. A pound sign causes the remainder of a line to be ignored. Here is a sample configuration file: # # ethernet addr boot file(s) comments # 08:00:09:0:66:ad SYSHPBSD # snake (4.3BSD) 08:00:09:0:59:5b # vandy (anything) 8::9:1:C6:75 SYSHPBSD,SYSHPUX # jaguar (either) rbootd logs status and error messages via syslog(3). A startup message is always logged, and in the case of fatal errors (or deadly signals) a message is logged announcing the server's termination. In general, a non-fatal error is handled by ignoring the event that caused it (e.g. an invalid Ethernet address in the config file causes that line to be invalidated). The following signals have the specified effect when sent to the server process using the kill(1) command: SIGHUP Drop all active connections and reconfigure. SIGUSR1 Turn on debugging, do nothing if already on. SIGUSR2 Turn off debugging, do nothing if already off. FILES
/dev/bpf packet-filter device /etc/rbootd.conf configuration file /tmp/rbootd.dbg debug output /usr/mdec/rbootd directory containing boot files /var/run/rbootd.pid process id SEE ALSO
kill(1), socket(2), signal(3), syslog(3) BUGS
If multiple servers are started on the same interface, each will receive and respond to the same boot packets. BSD
December 11, 1993 BSD