Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C++ using system()
Top Forums Programming C++ using system() Post 302095105 by Corona688 on Friday 3rd of November 2006 09:46:31 AM
Old 11-03-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero0x
eu, i am sorry, i didnt realize that we're talking about C (not c++) Smilie
sprintf is a C function, it cannot use a C++ string object as it's output, even in C++. C++ strings cast to const char *, not char *, and that's an important distinction -- it's const because you're not supposed to write to it. There's no way to overload accesses to a pointer -- if you do, it's no longer a pointer -- so it'll never know to allocate memory to hold what you're writing to it. For example, if it's holding "Hello", and you write "hello12345676" to it, the "12345676" bit might overwrite class members or anything else nearby in the heap.

They will work as inputs, as long as you use object.c_str() instead of just object.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-03-2006 at 10:54 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

2. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files at booting of system (system startup)

hi all I have a problem how to write a shell script which delete files/folder form directory whenever system boot and copy last updated folder/file in the specified directory.pse help me ASAP. i write a script which copy files in directory.I want when system boot up using script it check whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

5. Solaris

System hangs (freezes) on system bell/beep

I am running OpenIndiana development version oi_148 32-bit on a seven-year-old Dell Inspiron 8600. Seems to be running fine except for one particular annoyance: It freezes whenever a system bell/beep plays. I have mitigated this by turning the system bell off in gnome-terminal, which I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeadBadger
3 Replies

6. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

7. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Migrating jobs from COBOL Mainframe system to UNIX system

In a nutshell requirement is to migrate the system from mainframe environment to UNIX environment (MF cobol would be used I guess). I have not much of idea in this field. I need to do some investigation on following points - - Ease of conversion - Known Data compatibility issue - Issue in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tjsureboy4me
9 Replies
scope(n)							    [incr Tcl]								  scope(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scope - capture the namespace context for a variable SYNOPSIS
itcl::scope name _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified name, which must be a variable name. If the name is an instance variable, then the scope command returns a string of the following form: @itcl object varName This is recognized in any context as an instance variable belonging to object. So with itcl3.0 and beyond, it is possible to use instance variables in conjunction with widgets. For example, if you have an object with a private variable x, and you can use x in conjunction with the -textvariable option of an entry widget. Before itcl3.0, only common variables could be used in this manner. If the name is not an instance variable, then it must be a common variable or a global variable. In that case, the scope command returns the fully qualified name of the variable, e.g., ::foo::bar::x. If the name is not recognized as a variable, the scope command returns an error. Ordinary variable names refer to variables in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a variable name together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be referenced properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up variable names when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private variable mode 1 radiobutton .rb1 -text "Mode #1" -variable [scope mode] -value 1 pack .rb1 radiobutton .rb2 -text "Mode #2" -variable [scope mode] -value 2 pack .rb2 } Radiobuttons .rb1 and .rb2 interact via the variable "mode" contained in the namespace "foo". The scope command guarantees this by return- ing the fully qualified variable name ::foo::mode. You should never use the @itcl syntax directly. For example, it is a bad idea to write code like this: set {@itcl ::fred x} 3 puts "value = ${@itcl ::fred x}" Instead, you should always use the scope command to generate the variable name dynamically. Then, you can pass that name to a widget or to any other bit of code in your program. KEYWORDS
code, namespace, variable itcl scope(n)