Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk - Using a Shell Variable in the Reg Expression Post 302094807 by not4google on Wednesday 1st of November 2006 08:06:17 AM
Old 11-01-2006
Hi thanks for the quick response,

After adding the code suggested I am getting a response but it seems to be returning more than I expected. The value of tester is "qwerty1" and in the
$inputFile there is only 1 line with this value but the code is returning all the lines from the input...

Any further suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using reg. exp. variable in AWK??

Any idea please: How to pass a reg. exp. variable to awk call in a shell??? Thank u #!/bin/sh reg_exp=name awk '/reg_exp/{ print; }' $1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Reg. Expression

I need help with this: Can any one tell me what does these below mean: 1. "\(.\).*") != '/' 2. sed 's+^\./++;s+/.*++' 3. sed "s+${f}/+ + Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg expression For

HI system.sysUpTime.0 : Timeticks: (1519411311) 175 days, 20:35:13.11 From the above output i need only 175days in a perl script.. Please Help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage...sed/awk/reg-exp ..in shell scripting

in shell scripting there is extensive usage of i> regular expression ii>sed iii>awk can anyone tell me the suitable contexts ...i mean which one is suitable for what kind of operation. like the reg-exp and sed seems to be doing the same job..i.e pattern matching (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk's variable in regular expression

Anyone know how I will use awk's variable in a regular expression? This line of code of mine is working, the value PREMS should be a variable: awk '$1 ~ /PREMS/ { if(length(appldata)+2 >= length($1)) print $0; }' appldata=$APPLDATA /tmp/file.tmp The value of APPLDATA variable is PREMS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk reg expression

Hello, I have thousand of messages (HL7), I want to use awk to extract only the ones that have a particular value in pv1.18 Each record in the file is the whole HL7 message, ie. when I print $0 I get the whole message MSH EVN PID etc. ,there is an x0d between the segments. I would like to use a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg expression

Please let me understand this reg expression (\s+')(.*)('\s+)(.)(.*)(\/.*)/) i have doubt in the below 2.I'm not understanding why back-tick used? (\s+') and ('\s+) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg expression in perl

how to uniquely match each of the words seperated by / in perl ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Initialize Variable Using awk Expression

Hello All, What i am trying to do is read the input file delimited by pipe and do further logic like simulating the for loop but using awk not sure if this a right approach but as i was told doing "for i in `cat $file`" is an over kill so trying to replicate the same thing using awk script below.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

REG Expression

Need your help in creating regular expression for particular set. let say I have given two dates 20130623 to 20140625. I need to create regular for the dates which fall in between above two dates. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies
IN.IDENTTESTD(8)						 Library functions						  IN.IDENTTESTD(8)

NAME
in.identtestd - a small daemon that can be used to test Ident servers SYNOPSIS
in.identtestd DESCRIPTION
in.identtestd is a small daemon (to be started from inetd) that does an ident lookup on you if you telnet into it. Can be used to verify that your Ident server is working correctly. The source code can be found in the debian libident source package, as ident-tester.c. EXAMPLE
A typical entry in /etc/inetd.conf would be: 9999 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.identtestd in.identtestd With the above entry in place and active, execute "telnet hostname 9999" from either this system, or another system. It should show some- thing like: Trying hostname... Connected to hostname. Escape character is '^]'. Welcome to the IDENT server tester, version 1.9 (Linked with libident 0.22 Debian) Connecting to Ident server at 192.168.1.1... Querying for lport 1109, fport 9999.... Reading response data... Userid response is: Lport........ 1109 Fport........ 9999 Opsys........ UNIX Charset...... <not specified> Identifier... paul Connection closed by foreign host. AUTHOR
Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se> Manpage written for debian by Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>. SEE ALSO
ident(3), identd(8), tcpd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution IN.IDENTTESTD(8)