Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Write the source code for messenger Post 302094739 by Corona688 on Tuesday 31st of October 2006 11:01:45 AM
Old 10-31-2006
You're getting ahead of yourself again. If you do that before you have good, abstracted communications functions, which from your snippet I'm guessing you don't, your code will become a mess.

Once you do, you can divide up the work with threads that will work independently; one thread waits for messages from the server, one waits for user input... look for pthreads examples.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I review the source code?

A very n00b question: After compiling and installing software, where does the original source code reside? I'd like to study the source code of some of the ports I've installed. Thanks! :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

write page source to standard output

I'm new to PERL, but I want to take the page source and write it to a file or standard output. I used perl.org as a test website. Here is the script: use strict; use warnings; use LWP::Simple; getprint('http://www.perl.org') or die 'Unable to get page'; exit 0; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i get unix source code?

Sir please tell me where can i get source code for some unix kernal and shell also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VIPUL15
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block of code replacement in Java source code through Unix script

Hi, I want to remove the following code from Source files (or replace the code with empty.) from all the source files in given directory. finally { if (null != hibernateSession && hibernateSession.isOpen()) { //hibernateSession.close(); } } It would be great if the script has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshram
2 Replies

6. Linux

Source code

I need the source code of fedora. plz plz plz help me........... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source code compilation

Need assistance in Source code compilation . When installing a software compiling a source code . Whatever the output that prints on the screen i want to log it into a file. How can i see output and store the output to file ./configure make make install Is there other way of seeing output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Source code

hii... i am a biginner....and i have linux source code ,downloaded from some website ,a compressed file on windows and dont know how do compile them..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M K Raju
4 Replies
Wx::Socket(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Wx::Socket(3)

NAME
Wx::Socket - wxSocket* classes USAGE
use Wx qw(:socket) ; use Wx::Event qw(EVT_SOCKET_INPUT EVT_SOCKET_LOST) ; use Wx::Event qw(EVT_SOCKET_CONNECTION) ; ########## # CLIENT # ########## my $sock = Wx::SocketClient->new(wxSOCKET_WAITALL); EVT_SOCKET_INPUT($parent , $sock , &onInput ) ; EVT_SOCKET_LOST($parent , $sock , &onClose ) ; $sock->Connect('localhost',5050) ; if (! $sock->IsConnected ) { print "ERROR " ;} sub onInput { my ( $sock , $this , $evt ) = @_ ; my $length = 123; my $buffer ; $sock->Read($buffer , 1024 , $length ) ; } ########## # SERVER # ########## my $sock = Wx::SocketServer->new('localhost',5050,wxSOCKET_WAITALL); EVT_SOCKET_CONNECTION($parent , $sock , &onConnect ) ; if ( !$sock->Ok ) { print "ERROR " ;} sub onConnect { my ( $sock , $this , $evt ) = @_ ; my $client = $sock->Accept(0) ; my ($local_host,$local_port) = $client->GetLocal ; my ($peer_host,$peer_port) = $client->GetPeer ; $client->Write("This is a data test! ") ; ... or ... $client->Write( $data , length($data) ) ; $client->Close ; } METHODS
All the methods work as in wxWidgets (see the documentation). The functions for reading data (Read, ReadMsg, Peek) take 3 arguments, like the Perl read() function: ## To read the data into the variable $sock->Read($buffer , 1024) ; ... or ... ## To append data at the given offset: $sock->Read($buffer , 1024 , $offset ) ; The write functions (Write, WriteMsg, Unread) can be used with 1 or 2 arguments: $client->Write("This is a data test! ") ; $client->Write($data , $length) ; EVENTS
The events are: EVT_SOCKET EVT_SOCKET_ALL EVT_SOCKET_INPUT EVT_SOCKET_OUTPUT EVT_SOCKET_CONNECTION EVT_SOCKET_LOST The EVT_SOCKET works as in wxWidgets, the others are wxPerl extensions. Note that EVT_SOCKET events of wxSocketClient and wxSocketServer work differently than other event types. First you need to set the event handler: $sock->SetEventHandler($handler, $id) ; Then you set what types of event you want to receive: ## this select all. $sock->SetNotify(wxSOCKET_INPUT_FLAG|wxSOCKET_OUTPUT_FLAG| wxSOCKET_CONNECTION_FLAG|wxSOCKET_LOST_FLAG) ; Enable the event notification: $sock->Notify(1) ; And only after this use: ## note that $handler must be the same that was used in ## SetEventHandler EVT_SOCKET($handler, $id , sub{...} ) To make the events easier to use, all the proccess is automatic, and you just use: EVT_SOCKET_INPUT($handler , $socket , sub{...} ) EVT_SOCKET_OUTPUT($handler , $socket , sub{...} ) EVT_SOCKET_CONNECTION($handler , $socket , sub{...} ) EVT_SOCKET_LOST($handler , $socket , sub{...} ) ## This is for the events not used yet by the above: EVT_SOCKET_ALL($parent , $socket , sub{...} ) ** The new way is better to handle more than one socket in the same time too. Take a look in the demos. SEE ALSO
Wx, The wxWxwindows documentation at <http://www.wxwindows.org/> AUTHOR
Graciliano M. P. <gm@virtuasites.com.br> COPYRIGHT
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2007-06-18 Wx::Socket(3)